Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anyone has been contacted about the airbag recall that apparently is required by some Coopers made before June.

I have heard nothing but my car is in the batch needing work, and I read somewhere that we should be told in September.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Just wondered if anyone has been contacted about the airbag recall that apparently is required by some Coopers made before June.

I have heard nothing but my car is in the batch needing work, and I read somewhere that we should be told in September.

Affected models:

MINI F56 Cooper Hardtop models manufactured from Feb, 2 2014 through May, 30 2014

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know my car is one of those affected, I just wondered if anyone has been contacted officially about it yet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The dealership I ordered mine in march from said the one that they currently had was recalled and was going to be shipped away that day (that was in june).

·
Registered
844 Posts
Prob best to take the initiative and phone your dealer to get it booked in.

Also, make sure you tell them to have the parts in stock for when you book it in.

I got a call to take my first R56 in to have a fuse changed for the fan. So, I booked it in and when I collected it they informed me that the fuse was on back order ��

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
No owners seem to have been contacted yet, so I am not out of the loop at least!

Maybe they are waiting until the "technicians" have had an inservice course on what they have to do to fix the airbag issue.

With that in mind I don't want my car to be the first to be "fixed" at my particular dealership, visions of greasy handed teenagers with crowbars trying to prise off internal panels come to mind.....

·
Registered
280 Posts
I believe there should be a total recall of all new Minis regarding the stalling of the engines.
I was at the dealer this morning talking about the shutting off of Mini engines while driving. The service guy said, "If it happens to you, bring it in and we'll reprogram. WHAT? He then went on to say it would take about four hours to reprogram - as if to put me off.

If it happens to me while on a four lane freeway and I'm in an accident because of it, Mini is liable for horrendous claims if this happens. This appears to be a VERY serious problem to me.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I hate to change gears here(see pun) Did anyone get a $100 card from Mini for Shift knob on the manual 6speed coming off ? >:D I will call the dealer tomorrow to see about the airbag recall

·
Registered
844 Posts
I believe there should be a total recall of all new Minis regarding the stalling of the engines.
I was at the dealer this morning talking about the shutting off of Mini engines while driving. The service guy said, "If it happens to you, bring it in and we'll reprogram. WHAT? He then went on to say it would take about four hours to reprogram - as if to put me off.

If it happens to me while on a four lane freeway and I'm in an accident because of it, Mini is liable for horrendous claims if this happens. This appears to be a VERY serious problem to me.
This has never happened to my manual f56. Is this a possible issue only with the automatic? Also, is it limited to the Cooper or the S?

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
My f56 Cooper seems fine 600 miles in. Only one stall due to operator error and the car restarted itself. Gave me a nice surprise !

·
Registered
280 Posts
The service guy said it had happened to both manual & automatic. They had reprogrammed 3 or 4. I guess it can be switched off, but will use more gas/petrol. I've switched the feature off.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Never had any suggestion of a stall or engine cut out on my Cooper, made in May 2014 and now at 3410 miles. Manual box.
Touch wood, of course.

I always turn the start/stop thing off which may be masking the problem.

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
I agree it's a fantastic feature and I only switch it off in stop start traffic.the car is designed to be used like that and if the car stalls in normal use it won't be due to the stop start mechanism. Having tested it on my r56 mcs it won't let the engine stop if you are rolling at speeds as low as 5 mph.!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why turn it off Johnan? It works really well, saves fuel and the planet ;-)
Yes, I agree it works well. However as a retired mechanical engineer I prefer not to have the starter motor working when it doesn't have to, even in the old days starter motors were never cheap.
In the days of non pre-engaged starters the wear on the flywheel ring gear would be prohibitive with such a system and though that is no longer the case, I still feel it is not really advantageous to have the car starting and stopping the engine all the time.
In a long hold up certainly but not for a brief stop at lights.

I am rarely held up for more than a few seconds in my normal driving so I just don't bother with it.

That is just for me, the way I drive, and the traffic I have to deal with.

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
I actually think you may have a point there johnan. In v stop start traffic I switch it off or hold the clutch down to prevent it stopping as like you I think I it uses more fuel I seem to remember reading that less than 20 seconds and a stop wasn't cost effective. However the starter and battery are able to cope I am told . Any more than that and it is worth it! Mind you that was ages ago modern engines may use far less on start up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts