Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Looking for a little information and light to be shed on my 2015 F56.

It was completely stock when purchased, 50k miles.
I had the car Stage 1 Mapped, which pushed 260bhp and 360nm torque... figures which in my limited experience seemed somewhat safe.
I was lead to believe that the F56 is a robust car, and capable of handling these sorts of figures pretty easily.

Day 1 of re-map, it was driven perhaps 30-40miles, near enough solely in its 'Mid' mode, as roads were too busy. It pulled exceptionally well, and had a strong power throughout rev ranges, but would look to spin wheels over 4,000rpm in lower gears. In sport, it would look to spin in 4th gear, and torque steer was pretty intrusive, so for the most part it was driven in Mid. I noticed at higher rev ranges it felt as if the traction control system was kicking in. (later I'm lead to believe this isn't the only thing)

Day 2 of re-map, a longer drive was planned (60miles), however within the first 5miles I exited a roundabout in 'Sport', in 3rd gear, stepped on it as It exiting onto a long straight with no traffic and no cameras. It was at around 4500rmp the ECU kicked in and cut the power, a red ''drivetrain'' warning light came up. It said, ''drivetrain malfunction, drive moderately''.
I pulled over safely, re-started the engine, the light was gone but on the DAB centre console it said the same message. I drove cautiously to a layby, let the car sit for a while and phoned a few people.

Upon re-start, the message was still there, but seemingly no affect to performance - I drove around 20miles to the guy whom Stage 1 Mapped it for him to run diagnostics. He cleared the faults, and floored it in 3rd to replicate error codes, sure enough the same thing happened. We also checked to see whether or not the engine was misfiring as he suspected a dodgy/weak coil could have gone to cause the issue. All 4 cylinders were throwing out misfire error codes.

He cleared faults again, and re-set it back to default by removing the Stage 1 map completely.
Upon test driving, we saw that everything was back to normal.

Day 3 - not mapped. After having driven the car for a few miles, I re-started the car to drive home again, and the message was back again. This time, noticeable misfiring and slight performance decrease. At this point I took it back to my dealership, (not Mini), where I have a 3 Year Warranty. They do not have the diagnostics tools for BMW/Mini and thus cannot detect that I had previously had the ECU mapped. The dealership then took the next few days to replace both the coils and the spark plugs, however have informed me now that this has not resolved the issue and the engine is still misfiring.

The dealership are now sending the car over to MINI to be looked at properly and for them to run a full diagnostic to try and figure out the issue.

----------------------

Questions;
1) Will MINI be able to see exactly WHAT I did to the ECU - or will it just show that something was done to it? Re-map guy said they wont know it was a stage 1 map, I could just tell them that it was a speed limiter added.

2) Regardless of (1), will MINI be able to see the times and dates stamp next to each of the ECU changes? i.e. time/date of stage1 installation and removal

3) If they do see that it has been messed with ECU wise, but they don't know in what capacity, i.e. I tell them it was a speed limiter... will my warranty be void? I realise that if they can just straight up see it was mapped, i'm totally doomed.

4) Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the issue given the above description, perhaps it could be injectors?

------------------------

Thanks so much for any help

·
Registered
112 Posts
I may be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that there is an ECU counter that can tell how many times the ECU has been flashed. I wouldn't have thought it would store details of the pre- and post-state of the ECU, but then again, it's not much data to store. So, yes, they will know it's been changed but not necessarily the details. Think honesty is best as it may help them to diagnose the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
To the OP, interested to know how you got on with this.
Did the MINI diagnosis spot if it had been flashed?
Did they manage to get to the bottom of the issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To the OP, interested to know how you got on with this.
Did the MINI diagnosis spot if it had been flashed?
Did they manage to get to the bottom of the issue?
Hi pal,

So update;
I still do not have the car back from MINI yet...
However, I have had a few back and forth conversations, it seems as if they are just being slow.

All they've done is detect the faults, and converse with my dealership to confirm that yes - those faults are legitimate.... we will fix them.

I've had a conversation with my dealer 2 days ago because MINI were not giving me much information and were refusing to contact me about it, and this is due to DPA (despite my being the owner) technically the customer is my dealership. In the words of the dealership ''it is because we are the ones paying the bill for fixing your car''.

The dealership changed the coils and sparks, still misfiring.
MINI are apparently changing the fuel injectors (but i am yet to hear back about how this has gone)
MINI have said if injectors do not solve the issue they will look to take cylinder heads off and investigate further.

As of yet though, no real update - it's been a very long time. It's in MINI's hands and I have absolutely zero indication that they have spotted it having been mapped. I've been told MINI ran a full diagnostic too, and the result of that was just that cylinder 2 is misfiring still. No mention of maps, or ECU counts.

I will update again once I have the car back!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey!

My name is Lloyd and I have literally the same issue you described in your thread. I have a 2016 Mini Cooper S 2.0L and after my Stage 1 remap it took it to 260BHP.

Since then, every time you put your foot down I get the drivetrain issue.

Just wondering what the outcome was with yours?

Thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts