Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm interested in your experiances with JCW tuning kit. Have you done some timing - 0-100 , max speed? Today I reached 252 km/h!! WOW!! It is so much better than I expected.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am in the process of looking into the JCW tuning kit for my MCS. I have a few concerns:
1. How noisy is the exhaust in standard modwith compared to the normal MCS exhaust
2. Residual value, will the car be worth more or less come trade in with the tuning kit fitted?
3. Insurance any ideas how much more over and above would be the normal increase from someone like Admiral?

My first time looking into any major aftermarket accessory, little apprehensive!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Im the same, my only problem is finding insurance, the quotes I'm getting are stupid money, and i can't find any one in the UK who has the kit and will answer the insurance question. I think some people just insure them as standard MCS and take the risk, but i won't do that.

I am 33, 0 points, no accidents in the last 10 years. My premium at the moment is around £350pa for the MCS. Churchill UK will only insure increases in performance of 10% and i have found this to be the case for most of the main insurers. Got some quotes starting at £500pa with the upgrade JCW kit.

What i don't understand is if i had held on and got the stock JCW i could have get insurance easily starting at £385 but a MCS with the JCW kit that has less power is hard to insure and when you do find someone it is in excess of £500

Stupid isn't it!

·
Registered
505 Posts
chrisgVRS - Youtube is the answer. It's actually mind boggling how many people have uploaded vids of their exhaust sound. From JCW to anything else you can think of, to no muffler at all. Many of them also show the difference between valve open and valve closed vs a standard S. My impression is that with the valve closed, it's not significantly louder than the S and has a different tone so you won't be classified a d-bag.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks both, have been looking on YouTube but very difficult to tell how much louder it is in normal mode than standard, the wife needs to be OK with it and not think I'm 17 again! Really looking for an opinion of someone who has one fitted for feedback.

Admiral have asked for details of all parts that are fitted (dealer sent me screenshot), why I'm having the upgrade and percentage power increase! They are now speaking to the underwriters and will get back to me!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks both, have been looking on YouTube but very difficult to tell how much louder it is in normal mode than standard, the wife needs to be OK with it and not think I'm 17 again! Really looking for an opinion of someone who has one fitted for feedback.

Admiral have asked for details of all parts that are fitted (dealer sent me screenshot), why I'm having the upgrade and percentage power increase! They are now speaking to the underwriters and will get back to me!
Eeerrr... for... better airflow in the engine... more efficient...>:D

·
Registered
890 Posts
Im the same, my only problem is finding insurance, the quotes I'm getting are stupid money, and i can't find any one in the UK who has the kit and will answer the insurance question. I think some people just insure them as standard MCS and take the risk, but i won't do that.

I am 33, 0 points, no accidents in the last 10 years. My premium at the moment is around £350pa for the MCS. Churchill UK will only insure increases in performance of 10% and i have found this to be the case for most of the main insurers. Got some quotes starting at £500pa with the upgrade JCW kit.

What i don't understand is if i had held on and got the stock JCW i could have get insurance easily starting at £385 but a MCS with the JCW kit that has less power is hard to insure and when you do find someone it is in excess of £500

Stupid isn't it!
It is!

It is just that awful word "modified" that scares them. A high powered "standard", as built, car is fine but a less powerful "modified" car is a no-no.

It is what the actuaries come up with, based on statistics etc, but it seems illogical.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I don't have one fitted myself, but I have driven one that had it. In normal, it sounds a little more aggressive than normal, about the same as JCW exhausts on other models - maybe a little less. I don't think it's obnoxious at all.

Now Track mode...If I had it on mine, I would have to turn it off when driving through my neighborhood or I'd have some irritated neighbors. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Should hear back from Admiral tomorrow will give an update then. Anyone on here driven in one? How loud is it?!
Looking forward to seeing your reply - I'm with Admiral and thinking about doing this too but have not looked at getting any quotes yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well heard back and must say a very positive experience. It is going to cost an extra £22.80 for the next 2.5 months until my insurance expires. £19.50 of that is an admin charge, so barely any more for adding!

So it has been ordered and should be with the dealer Wednesday!

Will keep you updated!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Popped into the dealers today and they let me have a quick look at it. A lot bigger than I expected if I'm honest, never appreciated how big an exhaust system is!

Only problem was no tips had been ordered, this was quickly sorted and some carbon fibre tips should arrive tomorrow!

It's off to the detailers Friday so picking up late Monday afternoon all being well!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was under the impression the upgrade in power was 18bhp so within the 10% most insurers will quote for ��

1 - 20 of 40 Posts