Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, anyone else out there having problems with their new Cooper S, regarding jumping out of first gear when pulling away etc...? I'm not sure if it's me not engaging it fully i.e it's just a little twitchy if you're not that deliberate...or the gearbox is faulty!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think Donna had some gear problems?

And just to add - I haven't had any such issues. All feels reassuringly firm and 'slotted in' when I select each gear :)

Reactions: MintMark

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi guys, anyone else out there having problems with their new Cooper S, regarding jumping out of first gear when pulling away etc...? I'm not sure if it's me not engaging it fully i.e it's just a little twitchy if you're not that deliberate...or the gearbox is faulty!
Yep me too, I think it is just a matter of getting used to the gearbox and engaging the gear properly. I am guessing after 7 years of using a clubman gearbox it's just an old habit thing I have as the F56 is much more of a clunk into the gear action.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mine started doing it yesterday.

Booked into the dealer next week!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same awful issue...

I have had the vehicle for two weeks and loved every minute of it! Two days ago it started happening to me. Same thing, thought maybe I was not being intentional enough with putting it fully into first gear. Within 30 minutes of city driving it jumped out of gear 8 times, I even had someone else drive it... I called the dealer and it is now in the shop. Just wondering, did anyone get any resolution? Is the new transmission poorly engineered? What did the dealership do to fix it? If the transmission is faulty, I do not want a band aid solution where they keep replacing it, I genuinely want this issue fixed. Safety is an issue with this problem, not once but twice I just about got rear ended in an intersection as drivers we anticipating that I would be speeding up not almost stopping mid turn...

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
95 Posts
More problems for the mini, I am so glad that I held of being an early buyer. Would hate to be in and out of dealer with problems, had it before and don't want it again. Hopefully they will get all these little niggles sorted and have a car that people can drive, than be in and out of workshop getting all these problems sorted.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have had the vehicle for two weeks and loved every minute of it! Two days ago it started happening to me. Same thing, thought maybe I was not being intentional enough with putting it fully into first gear. Within 30 minutes of city driving it jumped out of gear 8 times, I even had someone else drive it... I called the dealer and it is now in the shop. Just wondering, did anyone get any resolution? Is the new transmission poorly engineered? What did the dealership do to fix it? If the transmission is faulty, I do not want a band aid solution where they keep replacing it, I genuinely want this issue fixed. Safety is an issue with this problem, not once but twice I just about got rear ended in an intersection as drivers we anticipating that I would be speeding up not almost stopping mid turn...

Thanks for your help!
Hello. I understand your frustrations, I hope your problem is resolved quickly.

If you are in the USA you might want to look on the North American motoring forum to see if there are posts about this there.

My Cooper does not suffer from this but it could be a different gear box.

To Baldyspoon. My Cooper is perfect, thank you ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi,
Quite the "put down" to those of us who have taken the plunge and purchased our Mini's.
Not at all a put down read all of what I said, I had this with a previous car lots of little problems and in and out of workshop being fixed. Don't want to go down that road again, so not a put down just don't want that grief again and will hold of till bmw sort out the teething problems. Sorry if you felt offended that was not my intention.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello. I understand your frustrations, I hope your problem is resolved quickly.

If you are in the USA you might want to look on the North American motoring forum to see if there are posts about this there.

My Cooper does not suffer from this but it could be a different gear box.

To Baldyspoon. My Cooper is perfect, thank you ;)
I am happy for you but there are a lot of people on various forums with problems, and that's why I have held off. Once all the little niggles are sorted I will be getting my mini too.

·
Registered
844 Posts
You may have a very long wait. Cars can and do suffer from faults even when the models are established.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You may have a very long wait. Cars can and do suffer from faults even when the models are established.
Totally agree but with all the faults being reported here, which some are serious waiting for them to be sorted then will buy. Don't mind little niggles and know all cars get them, but already had a car with problems and don't want a repeat so waiting for all the problems reported on here and other mini forums and then will take the plunge.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Any further updates regarding the 'S' jumping out of first gear?

Had mine for nearly 2 weeks with no problems, until today! During a spirited, but not outrageous, acceleration away from a junction it jumped out of 1st gear creating a pretty dangerous situation as I had cars bearing down on me. Quickly took it out of, then back into 1st and same happened, ending up in trying to pull away in 2nd. After that, every time I stopped and pulled away again it jumps out of 1st once the revs start to rise. Only way to get home was to get in 2nd at very low revs.

Will speak to MINI tomorrow, just wondering if anyone who has previously experienced this got any answers from their dealers as to a cause?

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I think I can be of some assistance. My shifter cable recently detached from the transmission. (Yes I have a manual 6 speed) I took it to the dealer and there are clips that hold the cable in place. Mini has ordered me a whole new assembly. They are the same part number for 2014/2015. I wasn't able to shift into reverse or 1st gear when the cable was out. The technician put the cable back and used a temporary clip. Hope this helps ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think I can be of some assistance. My shifter cable recently detached from the transmission. (Yes I have a manual 6 speed) I took it to the dealer and there are clips that hold the cable in place. Mini has ordered me a whole new assembly. They are the same part number for 2014/2015. I wasn't able to shift into reverse or 1st gear when the cable was out. The technician put the cable back and used a temporary clip. Hope this helps ;)
Well I've just found out they're replacing the gearbox so a little more serious I guess! Only had the car two weeks and I'm now back in a loaner 320d till its sorted (about 10 days as the gearbox is currently on back order!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update On My 2014 Cooper S

Thanks for your help!
Just wanted to give everyone an update on my cooper. I am in Canada so have also checked out some North American forums but have learned far more on here. I took my Cooper into service on August 24th and must say I have had an extremely frustrating experience. 11 days after getting my vehicle, the service department was some what reluctant to get my vehicle in. After some convincing I was able to drop it off on the 24th and they began some basic computer diagnostics. Following the weekend, I was notified that the computer was being updated in my car and when I inquired a little further, understood that this was a first step in the process of elimination and that a technician had in fact drove the vehicle and experienced the same concern.

I received a phone call the next morning saying that a computer update fixed the problem, I was quite skeptical and a bit frustrated... After reading the service report it turns out the technician did not experience the same issue and my service advisor lied to me. I insisted on taking a technician for a drive and within ten minutes of driving it happened again, four times. The technician even thought I was rear ended at one point. It was particularly infuriating when upon returning to the dealership the save service advisor stated "Oh, well it was fixed this morning," she clearly had no idea what she was talking about...

Sorry for the lengthy story... Now cutting to the point. I sat down with the service manager who took this matter into his own hands. He was adamant that they would not be replacing parts in the transmission as the vehicle is under 1000 km and he would be calling headquarters in Germany personally to expedite a brand new transmission. They maintain that it is not a design issue and was probably the 1 in 50 000 mass produced transmissions that was flawed. He also said to expect a wait of 5 - 6 weeks as there are not a lot of extra parts around for these cars.

The good news is that I got a call yesterday saying the transmission miraculously arrived at the dealership, I guess headquarters took this quite seriously and did what they could to get it shipped to Canada as soon as possible. They should be road testing on Monday and I could have the vehicle back by Tuesday.

I am hoping to get a guarantee on this transmission for the life time of the vehicle but do want to keep an eye out to make sure this is not in fact a design flaw where a mass recall should occur.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not to be too negative, but I've had two transmission replacements in my lifetime. In both cases the car never felt the same. On my G35, it was always a bit harder getting the car into first and second gears. The other car, a Volkswagen Sciroco (1985), just felt a bit "wrong." Like the linkage was made of rubber.

Make sure you get them to do it right. Don't accept a half-a**ed job. I have little faith in service departments at car dealerships. They're too used to reading bulletins and doing things without any actual thought behind their actions.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts