Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my cooper S has a abit of play side to side when in gear, and it makes for some kinda awful gear changes as it feels like it slops around but I'm unsure where to start.

I know MINI sell the shifter unit & cables, but that's a whopping £430, and as far as I can think it's only going to be a bushing underneath somewhere which has worn a little, the only one I can find, I think, is a strange shaped white one, (could someone confirm this actually is a bushing and I'm not silly, thanks) (will include a picture) but I can't find anything to confirm this could be the issue, nor have I found a replacement or anything of the sort.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Musical instrument Guitar accessory Grey Automotive tire String instrument accessory

·
Registered
2015 F56 Cooper 3dr + 2017 F80 M3 CP - 2022 Cooper Sport 3dr incoming
52 Posts
Have you checked upper and lower engine mounts ?, failure of these items can affect gear-change

lower mount can be had for £40 new and can be done easily with axle stands or ramps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked upper and lower engine mounts ?, failure of these items can affect gear-change

lower mount can be had for £40 new and can be done easily with axle stands or ramps
I haven't. no.
However I do plan on getting the powerflex bottom mount fitted probably next month, so will see if that makes a difference, and it's also going in to get some small things looked at in a month's time or so, so I'll get the top engine mounts checked over.

·
Registered
2015 F56 Cooper 3dr + 2017 F80 M3 CP - 2022 Cooper Sport 3dr incoming
52 Posts
Btw, I have a full shifter with cables as per pic above, its from a car with 8k miles, i tried the powerflex myself which simply made the rattling worse, so be prepared for that, was terrible at motorway speeds so I reverted back to normal bush

currently going through changing all 3 engine mounts as they seem to fail from 25k onwards, and may get round to swapping out the white spherical joint on the gearstick, which is where the slackness seems to be concentrated most

bought the car 3 and a bit years ago with 16k miles and rattle has been there from day 1, car now at 33k and still same, hasn’t got any worse

1 - 4 of 4 Posts