Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just after a bit of advice really. I have had my car since Oct '14 and is currently on 17,000 miles. I have recently had the Bearings recall work done with replacement bearings (I believe). Since then I'm sure the car sounds different on tick over - almost like a tapping sounds. I'm almost positive it wasn't there before and I've had a couple of other people notice it as well.

Thinking about taking it back to get checked over but I also wanted to ask your opinion as to whether it sounds slightly off? Video below:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Hi guys,

Just after a bit of advice really. I have had my car since Oct '14 and is currently on 17,000 miles. I have recently had the Bearings recall work done with replacement bearings (I believe). Since then I'm sure the car sounds different on tick over - almost like a tapping sounds. I'm almost positive it wasn't there before and I've had a couple of other people notice it as well.

Thinking about taking it back to get checked over but I also wanted to ask your opinion as to whether it sounds slightly off? Video below:

I was unable to open the video and play it. It stated the link was private.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds fine to me, normal engine noise.
Really? I'm positive it never used to sound like this, this sound much more 'dieselly' than I remember? I could just be being paranoid but I'm not the only one that has noticed it lol

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Hmmm quite tappety I'd go to the dealer and listen to another side by side.don't just ask them if it's ok as they May well fob you off. Could be timing chain tension or valve somehow not self adjusting? Mind direct injection engines are noisier but I think this sounds too metallic.

Reactions: johnan

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hmmm quite tappety I'd go to the dealer and listen to another side by side.don't just ask them if it's ok as they May well fob you off. Could be timing chain tension or valve somehow not self adjusting? Mind direct injection engines are noisier but I think this sounds too metallic.
Yep what he said

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I was under the impression if you had bearing issues that you need an engine replacement? Maybe I'm wrong? Does sound a little metallic though, however I can't really compare it against my SD.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Since I have hearing issues and an ipad perhaps I should re0evaluate my earlier post? I listened to it several times and it didn't sound that badly to me, but....

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I'm like Dan, seemed normal on my tablet....it definitely makes a solid metallic noise like an engine with solid lifters that may need adjustment. I'd have your dealer check it out just to be safe. Does it get quieter when the engine warms up and has been driven?

John

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
890 Posts
The issue is that the noise was not there to a noticeable and worrying level before the work was done, and now it is.
I had another listen and it sounds like something is running "dry" like an unlubricated tappet, or an hydraulic lifter is not pumping up to its correct value and giving a excessive clearance, or something like that.

They are supposed to check for wear or damage due to the wrong bearings, and if there is any change the engine.
If none change the bearings.

If the wrong bearings had been fitted wear or damage could have happened and allowed metal swarf to get into an oilway and cause a blockage, and oil starvation somewhere.

They should just change the engines that have the wrong bearings and not faff about retro fitting the correct ones, IMO.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Agree totally with jonan it needs checking and take no bull about they all do it. Get another and listen side by side.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree with the above re getting it checked. Unless you had the mic directly on the engine then it does sound noises and very tappety?

As above compare with another car

Good Luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Definitely going to be popping along to the dealers on Monday to book it in/checked out. It just doesn't sound right and with all the issues with the bearings it seems like something isn't quite right.

I had to move it earlier to get my Classic Mini and Renault 5 out and it is making a weird whirring/vibrate noise for a second or so when the accelerator is tapped.

We shall see what the outcome is next week :|

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Definitely going to be popping along to the dealers on Monday to book it in/checked out. It just doesn't sound right and with all the issues with the bearings it seems like something isn't quite right.

I had to move it earlier to get my Classic Mini and Renault 5 out and it is making a weird whirring/vibrate noise for a second or so when the accelerator is tapped.

We shall see what the outcome is next week :|
Please share the results with your forum mates.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
If they just replaced a bearing and you're getting a whirring sound when you rev the engine, I would definitely take it back to the dealer. Could be something simple like they didn't torque the main bearing cap correctly. That, or the bearing may not be installed square to the bore of the crankshaft. Either one can cause problems. When they dropped the crank on mine it was scored so badly you could feel the grooves on the crank bearing surface with your finger. My service tech did tell me that the majority of the cars they get on the recall only have the bearings replaced because there wasn't enough damage to warrant a new motor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts