Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got a new Cooper S (with JCW Chili Pack) and I've noticed that the twin tailpipes aren't aligned centrally in the tailpipe cutout - they sit more to the right side of the cutout. Unfortunately, I'm a bit OCD and notice this quite a bit and it niggles me :)

Is this quite common? Is it something that is quite easily adjusted, if I was to contact the dealership and ask to align?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just get a muffler delete and have the tips cut off the muffler and welded to a pipe that goes from the second cat/resonator to the end of the car. Have the muffler shop line it up for you.

Makes the car sound much better too :D

·
Super Moderator
8,825 Posts
Think the tailpipes are a simple screw fit ment to the actual exhaust.its underneath so you may be able to loosen these and diy.not 100% sure on this though!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I totally get the OCD thing! lol! Good luck getting it sorted. I'd probably try the installer first, then do it myself if no resolution with the dealer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies so far! I've just sent a mail to the dealership I bought the car from 10 days ago. Will see what they come back with before I start crawling underneath :)

It's probably only about 5mm off centre but to my eyes, that creates quite a visual discrepancy from left to right side of the cut out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update: My car has been in to the dealership where I showed them the tailpipe alignment - they agreed it was quite a bit off to the RHS though said there is a very limited amount that they can be moved. I also highlighted a slight creaking noise coming from the clutch pedal, which my wife's identical car doesn't exhibit.

An hour later and the clutch pedal issue sorted (apparently it was very dry where it goes into the cylinder or something, so that was all lubed up), and the exhaust is 99% bang on now (if you got a tape measure, it's probably 1mm-2mm off centre at most now - same as my wife car - it's as far over as they could move it). You'd really not notice any alignment issue at all now.

Very happy, great service :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far! I've just sent a mail to the dealership I bought the car from 10 days ago. Will see what they come back with before I start crawling underneath :)

It's probably only about 5mm off centre but to my eyes, that creates quite a visual discrepancy from left to right side of the cut out.
I'd hit up the dealer too. It's poor workmanship imo. and if there's anyone who'd know how to align the pipes I would certainly hope the Mini dealership would.

Man, I'm checking Jane out real good when she arrives, all the visuals, bonnet alignment, tail pipe, doors ,etc. Glad I stumbled unto Mini's forums. It's an expensive car @ $30k+ US as I never paid over $18K US for a vehicle in my lifetime. NOT to hijack this thread but what if I were to reject Jane if she's not pristine condition? do I lose my deposit? that I dropped to have her made?

·
Super Moderator
8,825 Posts
Don't even think about it; it'll be fine! We've now had 5 minis , 3 r series and 2 f series and none of them have had any serious trim/alignment issues at all-there was a scratch on the door handle on our f54 but it had been in the showroom for a while and it looked like someone's ring had damaged it-dealer replaced it within minutes. You may get the odd problem but a good dealer will sort it without hassle before you get the car-and before rejection is even an inkling-just make sure when you collect the car you go over it with a fine tooth comb and take someone with you so two of you are looking! Our f54 did go into limp mode on the way home-faulty solenoid-can happen to any machine but it was fixed within 24 hours and there is no way we'd consider any other vehicle-it is an amazing machine-even my wife is talking about 'keeping this one'. Now that is a first! Just enjoy the experience!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.