Mini Cooper Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

I was wondering if the turbo on 1.5 cooper is different to that one on a 2.0 petrol cooper s?
Turbo housing on the 1.5 engine is water cooled saving cost on expensive heat resistant alloys and also weight.

Hi,

I was wondering if the turbo on 1.5 cooper is different to that one on a 2.0 petrol cooper s?
Hi,

Turbo housing on the 1.5 engine is supposed to be aluminum water cooled, saving cost on expensive heat resistant alloys and also saving weight.

Under normal driving with A/C max ON oil temp rarely exceeds 90degC. Water cooled turbo housing should also help keep oil tempdown.

I wonder If Cooper S can keep oil temp below 100degC under similar conditions.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Turbo housing on the 1.5 engine is supposed to be aluminum water cooled, saving cost on expensive heat resistant alloys and also saving weight.
And the turbo housing on the Cooper S 2.0 engine in comparison is like what? Does it have better materials? And why shouldn't it keep oil temps low as least as low as the 1.5, if it came with better material?

:unsure:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I wonder if the construction of the turbo (and the materials used) is a factor in most iterations of this engine offering ‘modest’ power by today’s standards.

·
Super Moderator
8,619 Posts
Nope it's just terrible marketing speak. The twin scroll turbo on the s can't and isn't needed on a three pot due intake harmonics. Google it for details. The twin means turbo ,Vario valve timing and something else in the three cyl.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I know its not the same as having 2 x turbos but my point was that its similar to the type of turbo on cooper s 2.0, in terms of 'twin turbo' tech I mean
On the left, a twin scroll turbo is depicted. One scroll is teamed up with cylinders 1,3 and the other one with 2,4.
You need even number of cylinders in order to pair them up and this is not possible with 3cyl engines.
This design distracts less the flow of gases.

Auto part Engineering Gas Metal Composite material

·
Super Moderator
8,619 Posts
It isn't it's marketing rubbish, no twin scroll think from memory they said the twin bit meant the turbo in conjunction with constantly variable valve timing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts