Mini Cooper Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you ready for this?

The technician was apparently able to replicate the squeaking as per the video, suggested it was due to warm weather and the fact my car is fitted with an automatic gearbox. He said because your only pressing lightly on the break to bring your car to a stop, the gearbox is still putting power to the wheels making the car move.. Therefore this will be causing the squeaking.

Here's the dick head bit.. Resolution: just put your car in neutral in traffic to stop it from creeping.

WHEN, other than being towed and changing from P to D or D to R does an automatic get put in neutral?

I politely told the service lady that is was utter bollocks and no other automatic I've driven has had break squeak due to it being 'automatic'. Basically this wise guy has just told me that MINI have designed the gearbox to make the breaks squeak so please with caution just engage neutral.

I can't get over this utter bull poo.
Hi there, what a load of rubbish, fobbing you off seems the way forward for them. Did you get a resolve for the issue, I have a similar noise but only when driving, on and off squeal randomly and stops when I touch the brakes.??? Any ideas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there, what a load of rubbish, fobbing you off seems the way forward for them. Did you get a resolve for the issue, I have a similar noise but only when driving, on and off squeal randomly and stops when I touch the brakes.??? Any ideas
Hi there supershaun I have exactly the same a kind or rubbing squeak. If I just touch the pedal it stops. Goes if I turn left, and comes back once straight or turning right. Starts after about 5 miles. Very loud. I find I touch the brakes when going past people to stop it.

I tried bedding the brakes in as when I brought the car they replaced the brake pads, and front disks, but it still does it. I've probably done 3k now and its annoying.

Cheers Kev

·
Registered
49 Posts
Jet wash the calipers, a load of black stuff will most likely come out, this usually does the trick for me.

If that doesn't do it remove the pads, give the edge of the pad a rub over with a file, clean with brake cleaner put them back in making sure they "float" in the calipers. Then give the brake disc a rub with a light abrasive and clean with brake cleaner.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts