Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer called me on wed and said i need to bring car in. There is a recall. The fault is with Oil filter casing. The casing can crack causing a oil leak. Has anybody had the same call? Or had a oil leak. I have 12000 miles on the car.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I heard of the recall. Mine should have it too. Dealer said it was done before delivery. I should check my manual later on.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I thought that problem affect S models made early on ie in early 2014?

I didn't realise it was still a concern, or maybe this is another problem with leaks from the oil filter housing on S models.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. My Cooper F56 oil heat exchanger casing cracked at 11k whilst driving home from work. Car was back on the road after two days and no lasting damage but I wonder if they have now realised more cars are affected. My Cooper was an April 14' build.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had that item replaced in my early 2014 F56S when I went in for the first oil change. Funny thing - before the replacement I was "burning" about a quart of oil every 6000 miles. After, my oil level remains "full" all of the time. I have no oil where the oil was going or why it stopped burning, as I have been underneath the car regularly. ???

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a new oil cooler a couple of months ago as it was leaking engine coolant. I don't imagine they did the oil filter casing at the same time, so we'll see if I get the call too.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Probably best to call the dealer and ask them to check if your car needs this work done.

Some dealers take a long time to get in touch.

·
Registered
494 Posts
PHP:
Probably best to call the dealer and ask them to check if your car needs this work done.

Some dealers take a long time to get in touch.
They never answer the phone, always have to leave a voice mail message.
Days later I am lucky to get a call back.

I just got a call the other day for a recall. To replace the PSI tire inflation sticker.
It is in stock now. It was out of stock since mid March when I was at the dealership for service. 2 months to get a lousy sticker.

I told them that I will not bring the car in just for that. A big waste of time. I will do it at its next service interval. What are they thinking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you guys have your account on MiniUSA set up, you can sign into the Mini Owner's Lounge and check recall status of your car by VIN #, as well as check service records, get dealer updates and other things.

That being said, my '15 Cooper S, manufactured in January, isn't effected.

Attachments

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
86 Posts
I checked mine, and it says there's no open safety recalls. However, the word "safety" is key here. What about other types of recalls that aren't due to or cause a safety issue similar to this one? Does the MINI website recall check cover ALL types of recalls?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Not sure about other countries, but in the US there's specific language and definitions in play involving the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. If the manufacturer is found to be responsible for a serious defect that may compromise the safety of the vehicle, a recall is issued by NHTSA. In other instances, an auto manufacturer may find a defect that occurred during the design or manufacturing process of a vehicle and issue a recall voluntarily (the NHTSA still receives notification, though). Whatever the circumstances, a recall requires the manufacturer to send an official notice to owners of the vehicles found to be defective. Dealer service departments will then make the necessary repairs free of charge. Ordinarily, recalls affect only a portion of the production run of a given year, make and model. Anything else falls under the umbrella of technical service bulletins (or TSBs) issued by the manufacturer for less serious problems that affect the normal operation of the vehicle. Some bulletins don't address any actual problems and merely provide updated information on parts and maintenance protocol. Bottom line is that if there's a no kidding recall on your vehicle, you'll be notified. If there's a minor tweak to something, I'm not sure what BMW's protocol is, but you'll likely be notified unless it's something like the door paint rubbing issue or the funky head unit issue where they seem to wait until you actually have the problem, then fix it when you come in.

·
Registered
185 Posts
In the UK the oil filter housing issue is a 'product enhancement' bulletin according to my dealer - meaning it is not a full UK Recall, and as such customers are NOT notified of this issue unless

a) you go in and ask them to check
b) your car goes in for other work, at which point they would have to do this and/or inform you it was due

Mine is going in for halfway through next month as they claim its a full day job!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
In Italy the Mini recall campaign has this code: 0011610300
The dealer calls the Mini owners that have interested of this recall ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yup mine has the recall too. Dealer didn't contact me. I contacted them , o yes we are sorry we didn't contact you you are correct. :-D so it is going in wednesday. Somebody has a pic of the old vs new housing? Is it plastic and the new aluminium?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine got replaced when it went in with "drivetrain malfunction" warning and when they took the old one off they noticed debris inside and the result is a new engine is required. Car has just done 11,000 miles. I dread to think what could have happened without that "product enhancement".

·
Registered
192 Posts
Lornawizz. What exactly did go wrong with your engine? Where did the debris come from? This can not come from the filter housing. They just leak. Did you here a noice or so?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.