Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Mini have quoted me $1K to supply and fit the BlackJack roof decal. I think that is quite pricey. Does anyone know whether it is possible to get it done cheaper? BTW - it would not be a good idea for me to do it myself!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm looking at that currently. I have a friend in the car decal industry and they quoted me $800 to have one custom made up and installed, I walked away almost choking on that quote and re-thinking our friendship.

It's probably cheaper to import in a decal from the states or UK and either install it yourself or pay a company to install it for you. Should take less than 1hr labour to do this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just had a call from BMW Customer Care to try and sell me more stuff..

Window Tint for F56 Mini Cooper S $695
Interior Leather & Carpet Protection $1090
Exterior Paint Protection $1295
Sub - Total $3080
- March Pre-delivery sale Discount *Free
Interior protection with package purchase -$1090
Total $1990

So, Skullee mentioned in another thread that the exterior coat and tints cost him about $1100 all up, compared to the BMW price of $1990....a bit like Apple tax LOL. I said to the sales person that I could get tints done more cheaply elsewhere and she gave a great story about why it costs more with them...apparently they used 3rd party companies to do the tinting but found they would damage the car in some way - scratch paintwork etc, so now they have moved in-house and have their mechanics do it, hence the higher cost. However I did hear that BMW still use a certain company here in Brisbane to do all their work and if I went to them direct it would cost me $450!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for this - things are a little more difficult to come by down under' there's only 24M of us. LOL

·
Registered
491 Posts
Definitely give the mini package a miss. It's a very expensive option to take on. Window tint can be done for $295 for the same quality. I got mine done at tin-a-car in Browns Plains, I went with them because the guy knew about the trick with the mini window to apply the film. Have used them before and the job was very good.
As for the protection, same deal, outsource it yourself to a professional firm. I'm still in 2 minds about what I should do but ceramic coating for the paint seems to be the favoured approach. Interior protection, not sure - i'm not going down this path as if it gets dirty, i'll sponge it clean etc etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definitely give the mini package a miss.
Yup, I agree...it's a racket. I still want to get a little more off the price of the car, so I might see if the sales person will cover it. Lol...it's worth a try I think.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If the dealer can move this is the best area to negotiate on. Look for some aftermarket prices / quotes ad tell the dealer that you can get a better product for less. Dont lsten to their manufacturer lifetime guarantee, its crap.
Good luck. By the way, which dealer are you going through? I went with Motorline at Springwood and to date they have been excellent.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
which dealer are you going through?.
I have gone through Brisbane Mini. Also was negotiating with Motorline until the other one found the right care for me. Motorline had a fit when I told them I had found a car at Brisbane Mini and were very rude (despite the fact that they knew that I had talked to them too). I was very annoyed with the way both the sales person and the manager handled it - typical blame culture, called me a liar - and then they turned around and said they would beat any price I paid by $3K. By that time I was disinterested in them despite the hook! A shame really because they did make an effort to find the right car for me. As I said to them, in the end it came down to fact that Brisbane Mini had a car that was a good fit for me.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Never ceases to amaze me how childish and unprofessional dealerships can be. It was the other way around with me, went to Brisbane Mini first and they simply weren't interested but Motorline was excellent all the way through.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just had a call from BMW Customer Care to try and sell me more stuff..

Window Tint for F56 Mini Cooper S $695
Interior Leather & Carpet Protection $1090
Exterior Paint Protection $1295
Sub - Total $3080
- March Pre-delivery sale Discount *Free
Interior protection with package purchase -$1090
Total $1990

So, Skullee mentioned in another thread that the exterior coat and tints cost him about $1100 all up, compared to the BMW price of $1990....a bit like Apple tax LOL. I said to the sales person that I could get tints done more cheaply elsewhere and she gave a great story about why it costs more with them...apparently they used 3rd party companies to do the tinting but found they would damage the car in some way - scratch paintwork etc, so now they have moved in-house and have their mechanics do it, hence the higher cost. However I did hear that BMW still use a certain company here in Brisbane to do all their work and if I went to them direct it would cost me $450!
Again thats SolarStyle Tinting and Opticoat. City BMW uses them, Motorline I believe now do in house......

·
Registered
78 Posts
Never ceases to amaze me how childish and unprofessional dealerships can be. It was the other way around with me, went to Brisbane Mini first and they simply weren't interested but Motorline was excellent all the way through.
Seconded that. We have had two bad experiences with BMW and then MINI in the city. They couldn't have been less interested and the sales guy at BMW was plain rude. Drove all the way down to Springwood, ( we live on the northside) and bought both cars through them. Really good customer service so far as well. Had the X3 3 years now and we have had no problems going back and getting a few weird rattles found and fixed. Hoping no such probs with Mini (2 months old) but I am confident the service would be excellent.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its amazing how one can have such different experiences! I hope that my relationship at Brisbane Mini will be a lasting and positive one! It does highlight a problem when there are only 2 MINI centres in the whole of Brisbane... with cars like Honda for example, its seems like there is a garage in almost very neighbourhood and at least you have greater choice.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Its amazing how one can have such different experiences! I hope that my relationship at Brisbane Mini will be a lasting and positive one! It does highlight a problem when there are only 2 MINI centres in the whole of Brisbane... with cars like Honda for example, its seems like there is a garage in almost very neighbourhood and at least you have greater choice.
Well we only have one mini dealer in the whole of WA.

Having said that the service has been excellent.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts