Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A recent trip out lead me to check out a few chargers in the area I was visiting. This proved to be a bit of a minefield and having just signed up to the mini Charging Card a little more frustrating than expected. So on a wet Monday, I have put the following table together as a bit of a guide with respect to companies running many of the chargers and their published costs.

I apologies that this is UK info but if anyone has anything they can add for other locations in America/Europe etc, please free to post it in this thread. Many of the charges are listed on Zap-Map or similar, but it means looking at each one to see what these are. Hopefully, this provides some idea of the cost of public charging if either you're considering the mini electric or you want to get out and about post lockdown in your new car.

I have tried to keep it relevant to the mini with respect to the types of charger (kWh) and the costs as currently published. The top three are part of the companies associated with the Mini Charge Card which we can sign up for. The rest are those typically found in locations around the uk. There are some caveats, charges for some locations are dependant on the local authority running the car parks or location so I have tried to reflect a typical cost. Also, there may also be parking charges, which I don't intend to include.

I have added some comments for each but one point to note is that there are very few one-stop shop methods of paying (Zap Pay, Mini Charge Card for example). I haven't been able to identify a single point on the web that provides what's below so if you know where one is, please share!!

Finally, most require an app or card to initiate a charge but where charges do apply then they should also allow pay as you go with a debit/credit card.

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
This is relally good thank you-bit of a mess although it does seem to be improving!

Reactions: Stuts11

·
Registered
738 Posts
I guess the infrastructure we have to compare with is branded fuel stations with prices that vary based on location. With motorway prices being very different to supermarkets competing with each other in town locations.

It's also the fact you can pay with your chosen method rather than the fuel suppliers. Imagine only being able to use Shell card in Shell stations and BP card in BP stations etc etc and having to sign up for each one.

It gets sighted as one of the biggest advantages Tesla has over the other manufacturers at the moment, charging infrastructure.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess the infrastructure we have to compare with is branded fuel stations with prices that vary based on location. With motorway prices being very different to supermarkets competing with each other in town locations.

It's also the fact you can pay with your chosen method rather than the fuel suppliers. Imagine only being able to use Shell card in Shell stations and BP card in BP stations etc etc and having to sign up for each one.

It gets sighted as one of the biggest advantages Tesla has over the other manufacturers at the moment, charging infrastructure.
Yes as Jeremy says it's all a bit messy. I believe that some of the companies provide the infrastructure, payment collection, etc, and then the price is set by the local council. The council then pays the provider a flat rate for the service and pockets what's left. The same applies to businesses if they install them and supermarkets. I guess for most supermarkets though it's a positive to offer it for free.

I came across an App today for charger locations that I hadn't seen before. The App is called WattsUp.

It's similar to Zap Map but you add your vehicle type, plan a route and it displays the chargers along the route by the provider logo. It also gives an overview of charger type, distance, and if it's in use or free. I believe they have also added CarPlay compatibility but I've yet to confirm this.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yes as Jeremy says it's all a bit messy. I believe that some of the companies provide the infrastructure, payment collection, etc, and then the price is set by the local council. The council then pays the provider a flat rate for the service and pockets what's left. The same applies to businesses if they install them and supermarkets. I guess for most supermarkets though it's a positive to offer it for free.

I came across an App today for charger locations that I hadn't seen before. The App is called WattsUp.

It's similar to Zap Map but you add your vehicle type, plan a route and it displays the chargers along the route by the provider logo. It also gives an overview of charger type, distance, and if it's in use or free. I believe they have also added CarPlay compatibility but I've yet to confirm this.
That App sounds good, I'll see if I can have a look tonight. You've certainly been busy with the charging spreadsheet. I think we are all in agreement the biggest balls up in this country is charging infrastructure and things will get much, much worse as we get more EVs on the road!
On a brighter note I went to M & S today, plugged the car in while I went shopping then realised I'd left my phone at home! So no Pod Point App to confirm charger! Just left it plugged in and when I returned to my surprise a few miles had been added!

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not exactly new information but all a step in the right direction for anyone travelling any distance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts