Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aaaaaargh. Happened this morning on the M6, I have been driving this route for 9 months in various hire and loan cars and nothing has happened before, finally get my own car again and Sod's law intervenes! :(
Luckily it is at the top right of the screen and small at the moment so will get lease company to fix it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Aaaaaargh. Happened this morning on the M6, I have been driving this route for 9 months in various hire and loan cars and nothing has happened before, finally get my own car again and Sod's law intervenes! :(
Luckily it is at the top right of the screen and small at the moment so will get lease company to fix it.
Sorry to hear this

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yep i had my windscreen replaced after 2 weeks after stone chip. I had to wait 5 weeks for a replacement from Autoglass. Replacement glass from mini direct but the seals had to come from USA which took the time !!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
That sounds like the kind of thing that happens to me!

I am a master of bad luck, I refer to an old saying that really does ring true.

"If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all"

Glad it's not too painful a size and can be repaired though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update
Had the screen repaired this morning by an independent company, that happened to be repairing another car in the road where I live. I had originally gone to Autoglass but after some ooh ing and aargh ing they said that it was too close to the edge of the screen and suggested a total replacement. I decided to get a second opinion and luckily these guys where in the area and they said no problem we can fix that, £42 inc vat so very happy with that.
For information they where Qwikfit Winscreens from Telford.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a triumph stag and I was going to our
caravan in the lake district when a brick fell
out from the rear of a tipper truck and bounced
off my bonnet and onto my windscreen. so I
had a bonnet and a windscreen to fix.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm with y'all on the bad luck. Showing off my 2 day old F55 and during the drive managed to encounter some freshly laid tarmac, complete with loose stones... Got a small pit in two places of my windscreen. Probably some on bonnet too, but not washed it yet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
4 days in and I picked up the stone chip from **** on the M3, that's driving I guess ... :(

Had the dent pulled and bonnet resprayed yesterday so, all is good again... :)

Mine is 2 weeks old tomorrow... :)

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
Poor poor you. I'm afraid our roads are rubbish but.........grrrr!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Argh, just chipped/cracked my windscreen on the way home. It must be punishment for finishing work early!

I don't know if I trust the cheapo windscreen firm that the insurance insist on me using. Whenever I've had replacements before they always seem to scratch easily. Plus I remember talking to a lady at the dealer whose R56 was suffering with leaks after Autoglass had replaced the windscreen.

But I guess I've no real alternative, as getting BMW to do it would probably cost about ten times the £95 that the insurance say they will pay if I don't use their approved firm.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I just had mine fixed. Since the rock hit it perfectly they just fixed it and did not replace it. The Installer confirmed that there are no after market windshields available here in NA for the F 56 and they will replace it with the original screen. The Dealer told me the same thing. Sounds like a fishy story too me but oh well.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Like I said in another thread, it's insured with the original windshield so don't accept the fact they want you to have it replaced with aftermarket rubbish by a repair service selected by the insurance company!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Like I said in another thread, it's insured with the original windshield so don't accept the fact they want you to have it replaced with aftermarket rubbish by a repair service selected by the insurance company!
Fortunately I won't need to have that argument with the insurance company. Their supplier can't get a heated version of the windscreen for auto wipers, so they've had to order one direct from Mini. I'm still hoping they can just repair it. It didn't look so bad in daylight.

The Mini dealer wanted £656 to replace it. To be fair they did tell me to just go with the insurance firm though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts