Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

Noticed something odd with my 2016 AT Cooper S (30.000+ KM). I'm afraid it might be something serious, so I thought of seeking you guys. I'm sorry if its the wrong way to do it...This is my first post. I'll try to describe things in the exact order as they happened:

1) While cold and parked, I stepped on the brake pedal while pushing the Start button. Almost instantaneously, took my foot off of it. It was like the car tried to start up and then turned off again really quickly.
2) I was about to try again, thinking that maybe I stopped stepping on the pedal too early. As I stepped on it again, I heard a clicking sound. It came from the transmission tunnel almost. Every time I would press the brake pedal, I would hear the sound.
3) The sound would happen every time I'd step on the pedal and on any gear. When my hand was supported on the lever, I would mildly fell the click that produced the sound.
4) I started the engine to see if the problem would persist. It was the same as before, but it wouldn't happen while on D or R and with the car moving.

Do you guys have a clue on what could it be? A friend suggested it could be a problem with the safety mechanism to avoid changing gears by accident, but I don't know about that. I'd appreciate any help!

The sound you hear in this video is not from the pedal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like the the shifter interlock activating. (Pressing on the brake is necessary to move shifter out of park.) Pressing on the brake in park activates what Ithink to be a solenoid to unlock the shifter (the interlock) hence the noise. Should only hear this when in park.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts