Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about ready to pull the trigger on the CravenSpeed Adjustable Short Shifter and I wonder how difficult it is to install that puppy. I am pretty handy with tools but I am not a big fan ripping the interior apart because when you have plastic clips something always breaks or does not fit correctly after you try to put it back together. Any inside info and what to look out for please share your pain.:D:D

should I go for the big one or will the small one from NM Eng. to do the same job?

The ONLY Shifter That Adjusts at Your Request
The Adjustable Shifter from Craven Speed is the only short shifter that gives you the option to set and re-set the shift length and height at ANY TIME. Just as quickly as you can adjust the seat or mirrors, you can change the feel of this shifter. A locking collar sits near the base of the shifter and requires only a twist before the height and throw can be adjusted to your liking. You don't even need to look at what you are doing; with with our unique design, you cannot over adjust the shifter. Go ahead and move it from top to bottom without damaging your transmission.

Precision Made Parts From High Quality Materials
You should never expect anything else from us. We make our parts here in the USA, and we make them with care. Hybrid designed and CNC machined from Stainless Steel, and 6061 Aluminum; it is guaranteed to be unbreakable. The kits for the 2007+ models come with machined 6061 aluminum bushings as well. Make the feel of each shift more crisp after you replace the rubber bushings with these perfectly machined replacements.

One of our most popular items for the Gen 2s is now available for the F55/56 MINIs, NM Engineering Short Shift Adapter. This adapter installs on the lower end of factory shifter, not a complete replacement. It's simple functionality allows for much lower production cost and faster (easier) installation without sacrificing smoothness and precise shift engagement.

Features:

100% CNC Machined T303 Stainless Steel
Reduce travel by 20mm
Retain OEM shift knob and it's position
No notchy travel
Easy installation
Full step-by-step install instruction included

Fits:

MINI Cooper Clubman F54 (2016+); Fits manual transmissions only
MINI Cooper F55 4 Door Hardtop (2014+); Fits manual transmissions only
MINI Cooper F56 2 Door Hardtop (2014+); Fits manual transmissions only
MINI Cooper S and JCW F57 Convertible (2016+); Fits manual transmissions only

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Hey Evlkarl- I've installed 4 cravenspeeds and 5 NM's. Please get the cravenspeed replacement retaining clip. Now on to the install. To keep all your plastic parts pristine you'll need a set of trim removal tools ($15 at best) a T20 torx, 10 mm socket and a 13mm if you have a factory armrest. Oh and a large screwdriver to remove the bottom of the stock shifter from its socket. Wait some white grease will be needed also to re-grease the shifter socket:nerd:

Shouldn't take you more than an hour including a good cleaning . Good Luck, If you need anything else let me know. :D

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Hey Evlkarl- I've installed 4 cravenspeeds and 5 NM's. Please get the cravenspeed replacement retaining clip. Now on to the install. To keep all your plastic parts pristine you'll need a set of trim removal tools ($15 at best) a T20 torx, 10 mm socket and a 13mm if you have a factory armrest. Oh and a large screwdriver to remove the bottom of the stock shifter from its socket. Wait some white grease will be needed also to re-grease the shifter socket:nerd:

Shouldn't take you more than an hour including a good cleaning . Good Luck, If you need anything else let me know. :D
Correctamundo! It's an easy job. Just take your time. And definitely get the retaining clip! The instructions are on the Cravenspeed website with pictures for the reading impaired like myself. :D

I also installed their shift knob which is a huge improvement over stock. Kellen even fabricated a custom cap for the knob. If you run into any difficulties just give them call. They're good people to deal with.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mind the metal clip and get the cravenspeed bushing replacement and trim removal tools. Take your time, be gentle, and it is not super hard. It is time consuming (our first one took about 2 hours, the second was under an hour)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mind the metal clip and get the cravenspeed bushing replacement and trim removal tools. Take your time, be gentle, and it is not super hard. It is time consuming (our first one took about 2 hours, the second was under an hour)

How do you like it Volcano? I haven't driven a manual in a number of years (currently driving a truck) so would it be worth it to do this?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I got mine now installed for 4 weeks or so love it the throw is much shorter a great compromise if you do not want to go all out.:)
Which one, initial answer implies craven

If you Do not want to go all out suggests nm

:eek:

·
Registered
85 Posts
The cravenspeed is fantastic. My answer to everyone asking what their first mods should be with an F56 is always a motor mount and the cravenspeed short shifter. It literally transforms the feel of the car.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Tell me more about the motor mount ?

I ran a vibra upper engine mount in my r53 to replace the oily mess

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am running the Powerflex street mount. It stopped the annoying motor slapping firewall phenomenon lol. I do wish I had gone with the race version but I'm a glutton for punishment

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm leaning towards the forge as a middle option

Be nice to try out all the alternatives

I had a Whalen knob in the R53, it's a different approach to getting a sweeter shift

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.