Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting worse too!

I've got a creak (sounds like plastic flexing against rubber) coming from the door/central pillar (seat belt one) on the passenger side. I've not had someone else drive it whilst I sit there yet to tell whereabouts exactly, but it's driving me mad - and im not normally bothered about minor rattles :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
Could it be a loose bit of trim they haven't clipped on properly, worth just having a feel and seeing if it just needs pushing into place. If not get it back to dealer and sorted as it will only spoil your pleasure of a new car.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive looked and felt the trim and it all seems in place, if I put extreme pressure on the door card, it makes a similar sound but any passengers ive had reckon its coming from the pillar. I am going to get a friend to drive it so I can have a proper gander.

it only does it over bumps not rough tarmac at least :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah doesn't seem to make a difference - I have yet to be a passenger to see what exactly is causing the problem - when I do I should know more

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had a noise last night, I wouldn't say it was a creak it was more of a rattle. Like loose trim, dull but constant and once you know it's there it bugs the **** out of you. So going along the road I'm pushing on the piano black door trim to no avail, it just would not stop. When I finally stopped the car I pushed on the arm rest area of the door trim and saw that it was all completely solid feeling, so of course surprised it was rattling. Coincidently a little bit later my sales exec called me to follow up on the new car and I told her. She immediately insisted the car be brought in and be corrected as I have to be 100% satisfied. So she was going to get me booked in, I left the house and got back in the car, drove about 35 miles only to find the rattle was gone. No rattle today either.

So did my pressing the door trim actually work? Or is it because the car has been booked in that it has gone into hiding, only to resurface afterwards.

The point to this was basically try as someone suggested earlier and push on the trim.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have you tried putting the window down, or part down to see if it makes any difference?
I get creaking noise and I traced it to being the tops of the window against the rubber seal as goes away if you open the windows a little. Has anyone else experienced this and found a cure, I was considering a little Vaseline on the top of the window! It is annoying as everything else feels so solid.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I get creaking noise and I traced it to being the tops of the window against the rubber seal as goes away if you open the windows a little. Has anyone else experienced this and found a cure, I was considering a little Vaseline on the top of the window! It is annoying as everything else feels so solid.
Apparently it is a well known Mini foible and dealers have some magic stuff that is meant to fix it. Or so I have read.

I used some Auto glym rubber or trim cleaner, can't remember the exact name, applied to the "rubber" seal, which seemed to help and the noise has gone away now except for very occasional squeaks.

I live too far from the dealer and don't really trust them to not make things worse anyway, but if your dealer is handy I would go there first.

·
Super Moderator
8,012 Posts
I'd heard that too. Bit of silicone spray should cure it my Windows defender rustle slightly. Had a rattle from passenger door too profitable and it turned out to be the belt buckle touching the side of the car. Easy fix!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had a noise last night, I wouldn't say it was a creak it was more of a rattle. Like loose trim, dull but constant and once you know it's there it bugs the **** out of you. So going along the road I'm pushing on the piano black door trim to no avail, it just would not stop. When I finally stopped the car I pushed on the arm rest area of the door trim and saw that it was all completely solid feeling, so of course surprised it was rattling. Coincidently a little bit later my sales exec called me to follow up on the new car and I told her. She immediately insisted the car be brought in and be corrected as I have to be 100% satisfied. So she was going to get me booked in, I left the house and got back in the car, drove about 35 miles only to find the rattle was gone. No rattle today either.

So did my pressing the door trim actually work? Or is it because the car has been booked in that it has gone into hiding, only to resurface afterwards.

The point to this was basically try as someone suggested earlier and push on the trim.
A long time ago, when I worked at Morris Motors in Oxford, some morons would put a nut or bolt in the bottom of the door panel so that the buyer would be driven bonkers - Let's hope that rubbish has been stopped.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A long time ago, when I worked at Morris Motors in Oxford, some morons would put a nut or bolt in the bottom of the door panel so that the buyer would be driven bonkers - Let's hope that rubbish has been stopped.
I heard about that... also heard on Top Gear that the workers at Rolls Royce stuffed a load of X-rated pics inside the seats of the queen's official car which was only found decades later when it was being reupholstered!

Top Trollin' >:D

·
Super Moderator
8,012 Posts
Having been to the factory and seen the pride the workers have in the product and the way the team's work I would say they just wouldn't. Any way even if someone developed a serious grudge There aren't any spare bits around to be able to do that and they wouldn't have time either! Even if someone took something in there are too few in there to risk it I reckon! Each team elects their own boss so even that is democratic. Brilliant .

·
Registered
508 Posts
Silicone spray quickly becomes an excellent SOURCE of squeaks as it allows the rubber and glass to move against each other, which is where the noise comes from. What BMW dealers have (originally to cure the same squeak in 5-series rear windows) is Silicone Remover - you use this to remove any silicone from the rubber seals and then they 'stick' to the glass and flex, rather than sliding and squeaking. It works well but it is £10-15 for a small bottle - though that will last several cars.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got a creak (sounds like plastic flexing against rubber) coming from the door/central pillar (seat belt one) on the passenger side.
Someone, either here or on NAM (but I think it was here) has posted pics of the results of weatherstripping abrading away the clear and color on the B-pillar. Don't know whether it was wrong weatherstripping or simply misapplied, but there was no doubt that there was visible damage. Your problem sounds a lot like that.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Someone, either here or on NAM (but I think it was here) has posted pics of the results of weatherstripping abrading away the clear and color on the B-pillar. Don't know whether it was wrong weatherstripping or simply misapplied, but there was no doubt that there was visible damage. Your problem sounds a lot like that.

Well since the car has been written off it's not my problem anymore :D

But yeah I remember checking the abrasion issue (mentioned on this forum) and mine was affected, but that was rubber against paint. The sound was coming from rubber against the glass of the window.

I managed to cure it using a very fine (too fine to see) smearing of talcum power *when the car is dry* - a suggestion from my dad who had similar problems on his frameless cars in the 1970s. Worked a charm.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had creaking due to body flex when the car was moving. Something was rubbing off of something. I couldn't tell you what. MINI stripped the doors and applied grease. I don't know much more than that, but it did fix the problem. I had another issue with a rattle which turned out it was actually the B pillar, but I assumed it was the door. This became a huge headache for MINI that the Technicians contacted MINI and got permission to fit "special insulation" in the doors. Again I never received any service paperwork to properly explain all the work done.

If you have problems, give MINI the headache of resolving them. One way or another they will find a way.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.