Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried this out ?

Having read the manual, still not sure how and if this works.

Tried it out yesterday on the motorway but found myself applying the brake rather than waiting for the car....got a bit too close for my liking !

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Cruise control with braking is just the standard cruise control. The clever one is the adaptive cruise control, which keeps me entertained for hours, although I am easily pleased...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes cruise control with braking just means that it automatically brakes downhill to maintain the correct speed. The much more expensive adaptive cruise control will self brake dependent on slowing vehicles in front but don't practise this unless you definitely know that it is fitted. Don't forget cameras/sensors will be fitted in the windscreen for a variety of reasons - auto wipers, road sign recognition etc. I'm just guessing but I would have thought the adaptive cruise control would be radar based and be fitted to the front bumper?

·
Registered
72 Posts
adaptive cruise control uses the forward looking cameras that are mounted behind the rear view mirror and (on ford cars) is used for active city stop in combination with the ultrasonic parking sensors located in the front bumpers.

not sure the f56 has the active city stop feature. but like you all say, cruise control with breaking is completely different form adaptive cruise control.

Cruise control with breaking: -
the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel have two positions, rather like the electric windows with one shot. pressing the - / + buttons lightly will increment the speed in 1 mph steps, pressing the button harder to position 2 will increment 5mph... holding the (-) button in will activate the break feature.

Adaptive Cruise Control:-
Set the speed... drive along motorway... car in front breaks.... your car will also break if its within range, the range between you and the car in front is normally set manually...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Matt for clearing that up for me.....obviously the salesman didn't give me the full brief. I'll stop playing chicken with the cruise control now.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
We have all off the collision avoidance systems on ours. I assume it is part of the same pack as the adaptive cruise control.

The thing goes ballistic when we drive it into the garage :eek:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Blark, it should be worldwide, but I remember reading a couple of months ago that some were having a problem in the US specifying this - it may be an option that becomes available as production fully ramps up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
In the process of ordering my Mini.
Also looking at the Active Cruise Control (ACC) or Adaptive Cruise Control.
BMW has ACC with Stop and Go. This will really make your car stop in case the traffic slows down into a traffic jam / red light situation. It will even have your car follow the other cars in the line if they move up a little. You need automatic gearbox for this.
Here a nice video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTrsvrReupM showing how it works.
And here a video of probably :) the manufacturer (Bosch) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=own_VaRZ9M8

Although here no mention of the "stop and go" . Anyway: If the car can hit the breaks for adaptive, it should be possible to make full stop as well.

Question remains: Does the Mini stop? :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
BMW has ACC with Stop and Go. This will really make your car stop in case the traffic slows down into a traffic jam / red light situation. It will even have your car follow the other cars in the line if they move up a little. You need automatic gearbox for this.
Here a nice video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTrsvrReupM showing how it works.
And here a video of probably :) the manufacturer (Bosch) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=own_VaRZ9M8

Although here no mention of the "stop and go" . Anyway: If the car can hit the breaks for adaptive, it should be possible to make full stop as well.

Isn't its feature part of the driving assistant? The one where's there's speed sign recognition etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Isn't its feature part of the driving assistant? The one where's there's speed sign recognition etc.

Yes it is in Australia, not sure about other parts of the world. Aust site states:

Driver Assistance Package "Camera based driver assistance system package consisting of camera based speed regulation, high beam assistance, person warning with light city braking function and approach control warning with light city braking function."

Unfortunately I don't think speed sign recognition is available in Aus. Not sure why.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yes the active cruise control is part of the driving assistant feature.

The manual says that the system is automatically interrupted if the vehicle in front decelerates to below 20mph.

·
Registered
20 Posts

And your going to trust this to work?
Makes people too reliant on the car and not enough attention to actually driving .
I can just see the insurance claim form now "Well the car was supposed to stop, it didn't, so I hit the car in front!":eek:

·
Registered
796 Posts
It's easy enough to check if you have the adaptive cruise as there are 2 extra buttons on the steering wheel, just next to the cruise control buttons. These adjust the gap the car keeps between you and the traffic in front, the gap control in my F54 Clubman has 4 settings.

I have found with low sun and some rain conditions the system can get confused and disables itself.

·
Registered
389 Posts
We have all off the collision avoidance systems on ours. I assume it is part of the same pack as the adaptive cruise control.

The thing goes ballistic when we drive it into the garage :eek:
Really how so? I have the system fitted in mine and while driving into the garage the PDC bleeps. But not the collision avoidance. As I'm not going fast enough.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts