Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the cruise control feature work? I am getting ready to go on another road trip and seeing as I got a speeding ticket last time thought I had better use cruise control. I've never used it before. How do you set it up and what are the pros and cons?

Thanks.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I don't have it in my f56 but it is very easy to use. Switch it on and when you get to the speed you want to cruise at you just press a button, not sure which one. To stop it you can press the off button, the clutch or the brake.

I do find it a wee bit surprising you have not tried it out or read about it in the manual before now!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Might be an auto though!!!! Its hard to press the clutch:laugh:
Simple to use though press l/h button when at desired speed then press r/h button to activate.To interrupt press r/h button,brake or throttle. Then to resume at preset speed press r/h button again.
Also to adjust speed when set use up and down buttons to raise and lower speed....light press adjusts by 1mph,heavier by 5mph
Forgot too if required you can cancel preset speed by pressing l/h button and reselect as above later on.
Best thing is to have a try on a quiet road to play with the selections.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Press the cruise on button then it shows set speed. Remove foot and carry on. Touch brake to disengage or accelerator and a hard press on plus or minus adds or takes 5mph a light tap does 1mph increments. After a disengage pressing the resume button takes you back to the last speed. Lim button in the middle simply stops you exceeding that speed and the plus minus buttons add or decrease the limit in the same way as cruise. In the UK at least!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Not sure I like that! Normally in cruise when you press the clutch you are changing down and slowing down. Why would you want the car to speed up again?

I'm with you on this one Ken, not long after I got mine I was using cruise on the daily commute. Doing 60, clutch in and down into 5th for a series of corners, speed didn't drop that much but I expected the lower gear to do the rest, so imagine my surprise when the car sped up again just as I entered the corner. :D

It was nearly a brown moment.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Yes have me a shock first time I experienced it too. I Hit the brakes as I started to surge into someone's bumper! Good job I'd left a good gap!

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Just used mine and to add to switch cruise on press the on button on the opposite side to resume plus the up or down speed button to activate it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually think it's a bad feature to not have the clutch automatically disengage the cruise control. I downshift to slow down and use my cruise control a lot. Yeah, first time was pretty scary. Until reading this, I thought it wasn't working correctly. Doesn't matter though since the car has been at the dealer since June 2. Won't shift all the time even with the new engine. To say I'm unhappy is gross understatement. 2015 bought in November. Dealer has had it more than I have.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Cruise control is no new thing, but after reading this thread I'm not sure I want to use it on my MINI! I have a manual trans, so I don't like what I'm reading! I've never used cruise yet in my JCW....but, there's a reason...my commute is curvy back roads! LOL! I have used cruise on my older Bimmers with clutch and had no issues, but then why use cruise if you are not on a higher speed highway anyway? Seems foolish for just everyday traffic.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.