Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So tonight I headed out to meet a friend for dinner, I was pulling into the parking lot and I happened to curb my wheel and gouge my tire (down to the metal mesh part- which I believe is one of the belts or the run flat system).

I'm pretty sure I need to replace the tire.

My question for you all is:

Do I need to replace both front tires? I used to have a Subaru and it was common knowledge that you had to replace all 4 tires at once because the differentials and the AWD system would suffer damage.

I have approximately 2247K miles on the car.

Any help?

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
No just try to get the same tyre. If you're worried move the fronts to rear and vice versa. It'll be fine.

·
Registered
478 Posts
So if it's a rear, then you can just replace the tyre (must be same brand/model)

If it's front that's damaged, move the rears to the front, and fit the new tyre on the rear. Make sure you keep the tyres on the same side.

The only problem is going to find a fitter that can be bothered.

·
Registered
966 Posts
2247K miles - that's a lot of miles, your tyres should be due for replacing anyway:D

Joking aside, and assuming that's 2247 miles with fairly normal use you'd be ok with replacing just the damaged tyre.

If you're replacing 1 tyre under these circumstances I'd put it on the wheel it came off, don't bother swapping fronts to rears etc. In a front wheel drive car worn tyres on the back are more dangerous than worn on the front.

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2247K miles - that's a lot of miles, your tyres should be due for replacing anyway:D

Joking aside, and assuming that's 2247 miles with fairly normal use you'd be ok with replacing just the damaged tyre.

If you're replacing 1 tyre under these circumstances I'd put it on the wheel it came off, don't bother swapping fronts to rears etc. In a front wheel drive car worn tyres on the back are more dangerous than worn on the front.

Hahaha yup 2247 miles. My bad lol

Thanks for the follow up all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts