Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I had a roof paint issue of my F55, so I decided to re-paint it.
After paint work, I found damage of rubber mold (trim, gasket...whatever), which is on the top of the windshield. The body shop has tried to fix it but I couldn't believe them. Because they said they were using genuine Mini parts all the time, but I saw, they only have universal parts. At least, they didn't have F55 molding part. And Mini dealership just recommended to replace whole windshield!! (quotation - $1000 :mad:!!)
Now I only repaired the rubber mold with glue with rubber piece.

I found the part on the website. Click Here
--Part No. 1

If I buy this parts, can I work it myself (without windshield removal )? Does anyone know about this work process?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Hi One welcome to the Forum. I had a quick look on my F 56 since my Sofa is only about 15 Feet from the Garage. :) Now I am pretty handy with tools restoring a couple of old Mercs. I did push and try to move the Seal a bit up and down and it sits in there very tight. Honestly I would let a pro like a good Glass Shop/Mini Dealer do the job. They might be able to just lift it up enough to remove the damaged seal stick the new one on and glue it back in. Would be a shame if you would damage the windshield trying to install a new seal. Of Course that is just my 2 cents. I be sure that some of our other folks here will give you some answers too. BTW my upper seal also was damaged and my Mini Dealer did a wonderful job fixing it keeping the original WS in the car. Could not hurt to let the dealer look at it and see what they have to say.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I guess just the three of us here had the same issue.
I had it repainted to black, they did not remove the top rubber seal when do the job.
All I could believe was the previous remaining residue was not done clean properly that's why the current glue was not fully attach. Mine had like 2cm bump.
My concern is does this top rubber seal do anything at all? Or plainly just cosmetic purpose?
My dealer told me to change the rubber, requires to remove the windscreen, I DOUBT. What if the installation was not done properly or professionally, water leaks and other side effects will definitely occur.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.