Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been out to clean my carcand found this mess all down the passenger side. Theres metal creasing and scratches down to the metal. I think this is going to be expensive to repair, just booked into the body shop for a quote, then ill need to decide if its going through the insurance or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No idea at all. Its happened since the weekend is all i know. Looks too heavy for a shopping trolley, someone's clipped it while reversing out of a parking spot is my guess. They would definately have known about it thats for sure

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
Beep heck poor poor you I'd be fuming. Would love to catch em. If you knew where cctv? Thinking about you.J

Reactions: Hat

·
Registered
307 Posts
Shocking, that nobody has the balls to own up to it.

I would be fuming. Once i had calmed down, i would try to re-trace were the car was parked and see if any CCTV cameras, caught the spineless idiots.

Good luck

·
Registered
844 Posts
This makes me SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO angry. Why don't people just own up to this type on thing?

I hope you get it repaired easily, and to as small a cost to you as possible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Man that sucks... That's going to cost at least $500 just for repainting. I hope it only needs repainting.
I had a Elantra 2007 in a parking spot where I assumed to be a very safe spot. Wide clearance, not many cars around, far from the elevator, but it was on the inner side of a corner. Some moron scraped my fender and front bumper while making that turn. Insurance initially estimated it as $1500 worth damage. I got it repaired through a 3rd party bodyshop with the bill close to $2000. Thinking back, I should have just kept the check and not have it repaired.

After this incident, and after buying a new CX-5 last year, I installed a dash cam (kit was about $230) that records even while nobody is there until the battery drops below certain voltage. I'm considering adding the recorder to my MINI too but still haven't made the decision. Lukas HD 7900 is the dashcam I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Man that sucks... That's going to cost at least $500 just for repainting. I hope it only needs repainting.
I had a Elantra 2007 in a parking spot where I assumed to be a very safe spot. Wide clearance, not many cars around, far from the elevator, but it was on the inner side of a corner. Some moron scraped my fender and front bumper while making that turn. Insurance initially estimated it as $1500 worth damage. I got it repaired through a 3rd party bodyshop with the bill close to $2000. Thinking back, I should have just kept the check and not have it repaired.

After this incident, and after buying a new CX-5 last year, I installed a dash cam (kit was about $230) that records even while nobody is there until the battery drops below certain voltage. I'm considering adding the recorder to my MINI too but still haven't made the decision. Lukas HD 7900 is the dashcam I have.

I like the idea of the dash cam but where do you put it for the maximum view and how well is it hidden? In the UK someone would smash a window just to get the dash cam.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm so sorry that happened to you. Our world is becoming such a sad place where people won't take ownership for their actions. And unfortunately you are left to pay the price.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Just been out to clean my carcand found this mess all down the passenger side. Theres metal creasing and scratches down to the metal. I think this is going to be expensive to repair, just booked into the body shop for a quote, then ill need to decide if its going through the insurance or not.

What a bummer....sorry to hear this......the person who did this is like a hit and run...they should be found and delt with. Were there any video cameras in or around the parking lot that you can view to help track down the culprit and have the athorities delt with them?

My car was hit when parked on a city neighbourhood street. The person was driving a van and backed up from there driveway and into my driver side door. Luckily for me, they left a note......I took the car to BMW/Mini certified repair shop. I did not want them to use filler to fix the door and the dent affected the safety zone in the door that was beyond repair. A new door was ordered, prepped and painted. The other party agreed to pay $2,100. Now I have a new OEM door, painted and installed by a certified repair shop and a LIFETIME WARRANTY.....it was expensive, but a piece of mind is worth it too.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First estimate has come in at £1200 including a new door skin so i've instructed my insurers :(

·
Registered
890 Posts

I like the idea of the dash cam but where do you put it for the maximum view and how well is it hidden? In the UK someone would smash a window just to get the dash cam.

I have used a Blackvue witness or dash cam for about five years and fitted it to my Mini when I got the car. It is fitted by and behind the interior mirror and I don't really notice it from the inside and it doesn't stand out looking in from the outside either.

It is reassuring having a witness to your driving as the video records time and date, and speed.

I don't have it set up for being parked, though that is an option and there are some that film in both directions ie through the front screen and out the back as well.

These hit and run idiots mean we need cameras all round our vehicles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ordered this Lukas LK-7200, not from Amazon but from ebay.com from a Korean seller. It was $150, and I'll be receiving it next Monday through Fedex. That's super quick shipping.

It's not really hidden because it sticks near the rear view mirror on the windshield, and it even has a blue LED blinking so others know they are being recorded. If somebody breaks in to get the dash cam, then there's probably nothing that can be done. I had Lukas LK-7900 on my CX-5 for about a year, and happy with it. It's hardwired from the fusebox so there's no clutter. I have a automatic power cut-off device which shuts off when the battery drops to certain voltage. If I don't drive my car, it won't record beyond a day at a parking lot because the battery. I bought the Lukas because they are low power (2.68W) and can withstand high temperature (up to 80C).

There are models which two cameras that can record front and back, but I didn't go that route because that would be too much hassle to install and would require double the power usage.

If you are worried about the loss of SD card (for evidence), or really worried about the heat, there's also a Lukas LK-7300 which has the camera part and SD card recording device in a separate box so you can hide or lock the SD card device somewhere else.

I'm not familiar with any other dash cams, and Lukas seemed to be the most popular cams used in Korea so that was my choice.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts