Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife had a 2015 Polo GTI which we bought on a bit of a whim!
Anyway, after 6 months, we realised it was a mistake for a car that doesnt do many miles and is often driven round town.

So.....after almost ordering a BMW i3 (changed mind as have serious concerns about future value) then test driving an Audi A1 1.4, we went to Mini.:)

Previously, we had considered Mini but found the build quality to be below par.

However, with the F55, wow! What an improvement!

After a test drive, my wife fell in love and we ordered one there and then!:x

Anyway, to cut a long story short.....I wasn't convinced, I thought the A1 would be a better ownership proposition and is a better all round car. How wrong I was...the Mini is a hoot and the 1.5 engine is an absolute gem! Build quality appears excellent and the Cooper with Chili pack seems really well specced..

Problem is....after owning it for 2 weeks, the darn thing has got under my skin. Im really enjoying driving it (when the wife lets me!)....I own a 300bhp 2015 Audi S3 which is a great car but I cant stop looking at the new MCS...what have you done to me Mini? I was perfectly happy with my S3 this time last week!:|

·
Registered
375 Posts
I completely understand you. I had a MINI Cooper (first generation new mini) and it got under my skin as well. After meeting my wife and making family plans we decided we needed a bigger car because hers was a Fiat 500. Hmm, MINI and Fiat 500 is not a sensible choice for people with a child so I sold mine and bought a BMW which also was a nice car to drive but didn't give me as much fun as the MINI. Only took a few months after our son was born that she realized the Fiat wasn't made for the job either so we bought her a SUV. Now we more or less had 2 family cars and as a previous MINI owner I was invited to testdrive various models of the F56 when it was launched. I was really impressed by the Cooper with the 1.5 engine but was flabbergasted by the Cooper S. Decided there and then that one day I would own one. Took me over a year but my wife noticed that I never got rid of the MINI fever and felt sorry I had to give up mine earlier in our relationship so last May she took me to the dealership and we ordered a 3 door Cooper S. Funny thing is that even though it's the small car in our family both wife and son ask if we can take the MINI if we go somewhere :D

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yes they get under your skin wife had R56 S mini from new in 2007 sold when daughter learning to drive we bought Seat Ibiza Toca reliable car did everything asked of it without a fuss , but soulless and drab interior IMHO
So when daughter got her own car Mini First I persuaded the wife to get another mini and she was keen on cooper but after a few test drives I convinced her the JCW for what we needed and have to say she loves it and glad she is back in a mini as missed it so much and when daughter got her mini wife wanted even more.
They have so much draw and appeal if you understand there character that is

·
Registered
608 Posts
I know what you mean.. I drive a MY2014 S8 and it's an awesome car, but I steal the JCW at every opportunity and keep considering the JCW (maybe a clubman if they do one) for me. I told my colleagues and they think I'm completely nuts...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if they will ever release a 5 door JCW???

Maybe not, but it would certainly nudge me towards one!

Just went for a run out to the shoos in the wifes Cooper this afternoon.....oh its such a fun little chap! So eager with the 1.5 engine! Im really enjoying it on the country lanes near our house....what a laugh!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I know what you mean.. I drive a MY2014 S8 and it's an awesome car, but I steal the JCW at every opportunity and keep considering the JCW (maybe a clubman if they do one) for me. I told my colleagues and they think I'm completely nuts...
I read a lot of replies on this forum where guys say they prefer the MINI over their fast Audi's...makes you think there's something wrong with Audi to start with :D

·
Registered
608 Posts
I read a lot of replies on this forum where guys say they prefer the MINI over their fast Audi's...makes you think there's something wrong with Audi to start with :D
Oh no, any extra MINI would be in addition to my S8. Once you have had 500+ BHP (550 in my case) under your right foot, you don't want to go without, ever!

I love the JCW so much because I can use ALL of it's power a lot more than I can with the S8.

To give you an example of what I mean, the Audi breaks every speed limit in Europe in about 5 or 6 seconds, 62mph comes up in 3.5s... so you have to be extremely careful where you use all that power. The JCW I can belt around like an idiot without worrying (too much ;)) about going to jail...

·
Registered
375 Posts
I was only joking, it's just that I read more replies of people with very powerful cars that choose the MINI over those cars to have fun and often their other car is an Audi. A huge compliment for MINI I'd say! :D

Unfortunately I've never been able to drive a powerful car like that and I'm not in the financial position to have my MINI as an extra toy but I see what you mean. Even the stock MCS sometimes has trouble getting all of the 192 hp on the road in wet conditions.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hurbert is bang on....

My S3 has 300bhp but I never really use it. It gets to 60 in under 5 seconds but who uses the power? I had an RS4 a few years ago with over 400bhp, a quick car that sounded amazing but ultimately was totally under used. Id have been better off with a 1.6 Focus!

The Mini is so much funs as it feels like you are going much quicker than you really are.

At 100mph, you feel like you are doing 60mph in the Audi.

At 60mph you feel like you're doing 100mph in the Mini! Its a hoot!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.