Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - does anyone have any experience of the Mini fitted dash cam - its seems to be same as BMW one with different badge. My car is in build and I’m wondering if I should get them dealer fitted prior to delivery. They’re on offer at moment but (like so much) seems expensive!
Cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, I have the mini dash cam installed which was fit by my local mini dealer. It lasted 2 years and a few weeks ago stopped working. Contacted mini and they said they just fit them, although they are branded with mini, but if anything goes wrong there is nothing they can do. I asked if I could take it in for them to look at and they said they would charge £100 diagnostic fee. I explained that I didn't see the point as I could tell them what the problem was, it didn't work...... Took it in explaining that I wouldn't pay the £100 and they looked at it for about 1 minute and said it was broken and that was it. Next time I am just going to go for a well known brand instead of the BMW/mini ones which are not very good quality. Just my experience with them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, I have the mini dash cam installed which was fit by my local mini dealer. It lasted 2 years and a few weeks ago stopped working. Contacted mini and they said they just fit them, although they are branded with mini, but if anything goes wrong there is nothing they can do. I asked if I could take it in for them to look at and they said they would charge £100 diagnostic fee. I explained that I didn't see the point as I could tell them what the problem was, it didn't work...... Took it in and they looked at it for about 1 minute and said it was broken and that was it. Next time I am just going to go for a well known brand instead of the BMW/mini ones which are not very good quality. Just my experience with them.
Thx for that!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought the MINI ACE 2.0 front and rear camera package and fitted it (myself) about 5 months ago. I had a look around at different cameras beforehand - but after weighing up the options, I decided I was happy with the spec. Image quality isn’t going to wow anyone, but it’s perfectly adequate. It’s been reliable and works seamlessly with the car. The iPhone app is slow to download video; it’s much quicker to download footage from the SD card (which is built into the front camera) using the USB adapter (included in the box).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have used the Nextbase 312, 522 and now the 622. With the hard wiring kit they are pretty effortless to use and a decent quality.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have been considering the Garmin Mini recently. It looks pretty good.
i installed and hardwired the garmin dash cam 46 with a fuse tap into one of the open "keyed" fuse slots in the glove box. i believe i used 58? (can't remember) i just used a circuit tester to find one that wasn't "hot" so the camera turns on and off with the ignition. i did consider the mini for more concealed look, but preferred having a dash cam with an actual display. makes it easier to make setting adjustments, and managing files. as in the past i've had dash cams with no display and sometimes had trouble connecting to my phone apps. however, i was pleasantly surprised that the garmin phone app connects and works without any issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Yes, thats what i would do. Plenty of install videos on youtube. I prefer not having a display as i would find it distracting. With the mini you can install front and back and the app will sync video. You can also get a polarising filter for it to cut down reflections.

·
Registered
375 Posts
It’s a little spendy, but the Apple version gives a full 360 degree view without any ugly cameras in the car. :)

And for those who prefer not to use Apple products...

·
Registered
Mini Cooper S F57
17 Posts
I looked for those, but found it difficult to mount them on my F57.
Now I use a BlackVue dashcam that is hardwired.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, thats what i would do. Plenty of install videos on youtube. I prefer not having a display as i would find it distracting. With the mini you can install front and back and the app will sync video. You can also get a polarising filter for it to cut down reflections.
i definitely am a fan of the garmins and sync option is great for rear facing cams without having to run wires all the way back. plus the mini has thay rear aux power as well. you can set the screen to turn off after a few seconds too as i do have it since i agree on having it being a distraction always on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts