Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 F55 Cooper D 5-Door DCT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

My wife's 2018 Cooper D has a DCT issue when moving away from a stop. When the car is cold, there is a significant pause or lag between applying throttle and the clutch engaging. This results in very noticeable slip and then a lurch which makes the car feel uneasy at junctions and generally a pain to be in.

My motorcycle has a double clutch reset procedure. I'm imagining rather hopefully that the two systems are quite similar, at least in operation: the bike has a control system where it learns where the clutch engages and is thus able to control slip when accelerating away from a standstill. Whenever the bike feels snatchy, much like the Cooper does now, the reset procedure is often a miraculous cure-all.

Does anyone know if there is a procedure similar to the Honda for the MINI?

I've spoken with three local franchised dealers but, as of right now, it's not possible to get a while-you-wait slot until late next month.

·
Registered
2020 Mini Cooper Oxford edition. Starlight blue with black top, black mirror caps and black wheels.
101 Posts
I have a Cooper with a dct as well so I am interested in what is causing this behavior. I know on most cars you can reset the electronics by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes, not sure if that is kosher on these cars however. I'm surprised the dealers are so backed up, in my opinion, a slipping clutch is a pretty serious issue affecting drivability and they should have put you in a loaner asap. I am of course assuming the vehicle is under warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking an ECU reset would do the trick, but I cannot find any such process for the later generation cars. At least, no PlayStation like sequence of button presses that is exposed to mere mortals like you and me.

I am therefore guessing the only route is through an ISTA diagnostics tool to reset the DCT and if applicable clear out whatever the car has learned in its time with us. And hope that cures it.

It is still under warranty but only just. I may just have to take a day off work and go sit in someone's foyer and insist it's done.

·
Registered
2020 Mini Cooper Oxford edition. Starlight blue with black top, black mirror caps and black wheels.
101 Posts
I'm thinking an ECU reset would do the trick, but I cannot find any such process for the later generation cars. At least, no PlayStation like sequence of button presses that is exposed to mere mortals like you and me.

I am therefore guessing the only route is through an ISTA diagnostics tool to reset the DCT and if applicable clear out whatever the car has learned in its time with us. And hope that cures it.

It is still under warranty but only just. I may just have to take a day off work and go sit in someone's foyer and insist it's done.
How much of the warranty is left? My dealer is always very quick to get the car in, even if it meant giving us a loaner for while. Does the slipping get better or worse if the car gets driven aggressively?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 months of warranty (car was new in April of 2018)

UK dealers - and I'm sure US dealers also - are hamstrung by covid regulations, meaning I'm not being offered the while-you-wait appointments I prefer, and there are no collections available where the car is picked up from your driveway and returned the next day.

It has to be drop off AM and pick up PM, which is a total pain in the ass with a family of five most of whom are single digits old! Loan cars are available but again these are weeks distant. I dare say the situation might be different further away from London.

The slipping is always the same no matter who's driving and what their driving style is. It only slips moving away from a standstill when the engine is cold to warm.

·
Registered
101 Posts
2 months of warranty (car was new in April of 2018)

UK dealers - and I'm sure US dealers also - are hamstrung by covid regulations, meaning I'm not being offered the while-you-wait appointments I prefer, and there are no collections available where the car is picked up from your driveway and returned the next day.

It has to be drop off AM and pick up PM, which is a total pain in the ass with a family of five most of whom are single digits old! Loan cars are available but again these are weeks distant. I dare say the situation might be different further away from London.

The slipping is always the same no matter who's driving and what their driving style is. It only slips moving away from a standstill when the engine is cold to warm.
I guess one option would be to call and see if they offer an extended warranty. I would give mini corporate a call, we had an issue with another car that stuck with the car for a year, dealer said it was normal, until I filled out an owner satisfaction survey. A week later I got a call for the car to come in and have it checked out. Have you ever had the fluid for the dct changed?

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you report the fault within the warranty period, but they can't attend to it until after the warranty end date, then they are still obliged to complete the repair. Extending the warranty isn't required to be covered for the fault that's appeared within the existing warranty. Might be a handy peace of mind though!

I suggest writing to them with the fault details, and inviting them to solve it. Just to cover you. Good luck!

·
Registered
2020 Mini Cooper S Sport Auto
204 Posts
You can also use Resolver if you aren’t getting anywhere with the dealer.
I escalated a complaint through there as I wasn’t aware of the true manufacture date of my Mini and was due a service earlier than expected. Someone from Head Office rang and offered the service free of charge as goodwill. Slightly less worrying circumstances but Resolver does work.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You can also use Resolver if you aren’t getting anywhere with the dealer.
I escalated a complaint through there as I wasn’t aware of the true manufacture date of my Mini and was due a service earlier than expected. Someone from Head Office rang and offered the service free of charge as goodwill. Slightly less worrying circumstances but Resolver does work.
Not sure how it works over in the UK but in the United States the warranty starts the day the car is purchased for the first time. So if I bought a new 2019 in 2020 that had 300 miles on it the “in-service” date would be whenever I bought the car and those three hundred miles don’t count.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My Macan has a PDK (DCT) box and there is an ignition on/off sequence that can reset the gearbox software. I've used it. There is probably similar for the Mini, but probably need a Technician to pitch in with the solution?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The car came back from a main dealer service yesterday which included the recall for the replacement of its torsional vibration damper.

The dealer did not list the fault codes individually, but did explain that there were several - and then kept the car overnight. Incidentally, I was given a Clubman petrol manual loaner which was a surprisingly quiet, smooth and relaxing drive marred by a surprisingly awful gearbox. Have to tell you, I am far more pleased about manual transmissions getting a proverbial bullet to the head on January 1, 2030 than I am about the demise of the combustion engine.

That aside, having cleared the unnamed fault codes and completely reset the car - this included losing everything learned by the DCT, as well as our radio presets, phone profiles and so on, which the service manager seemed unduly preoccupied by, presumably because of ill tempered BMW owners - it's like a completely new thing. Drives beautifully without any hesitations or clunkiness.

Just thought I'd post an update in case anyone Googles this over the coming few years.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thank you so much for the update @You. I have a DCT Cooper and was following the thread with scared eyes :)

Just one question, so this means there was no mechanical problem with your DCT, just a software issue and needed a good old restart?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you so much for the update @You. I have a DCT Cooper and was following the thread with scared eyes :)

Just one question, so this means there was no mechanical problem with your DCT, just a software issue and needed a good old restart?
That's correct.

The answer in this instance was as I originally suspected entirely non-mechanical. The DCT reset procedure on my motorcycle is, presumably for simple reasons of safety, fully exposed to the rider, whereas in the case of passenger cars it requires a visit to the shop.

I would be inclined to get yours reset if you have any doubts about DCT hesitation, clunking or juddering, overly harsh changes and so on. Like I said last message, it feels like they replaced the gearbox.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Anyone of you experienced DTC owners having trouble with slow driving, stop-n-go traffic, parking at slow speed, moving fwd/back at low speed from standstill?

Thanks a lot. :geek:
Car has rolled backwards downhill while in drive a few times recently. Not sure if user error or if that’s how it’s intended to function. Some times as I feather the brake(for a smooth stop) the car will attempt to creep forward making it jerk. Also could be on me. I probably just don’t know how to drive.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the update. Not many replies, so I figure the old/common issues with DTC, like not so easy to maneuver at slow speeds / backing up / backing in jerks, are over and stories of the past. At least I hope.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts