Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, I dropped some dry cleaning off and went back to the car and it wouldn't unlock.

I removed the key from the fob, inserted it vertically from below the handle to pop the blanking plate off and gained entry to the vehicle, complete with paranoid alarm letting me know I was breaking into my car.

Of course, because the fob was dead, the car wouldn't start. I rang Mini Emergency and they were so good they (a) didn't know anything about the car and expressed surprise there was no key slot and (b) suggested that because I was only a mile away from my house, I walk home in the p!ss wet rain.

Anyway, water (and lots of it) under the bridge with those guys as they have compensated me with £50 for shoddy service and addressed it quite well and I tend to let things go if the complaint is handled well. Things don't go right all the time, and when they don't the true measure of a company is how they deal with those occurrences rather than the ones that don't have to do anything because the product never fails!

Anyway, I went home, got the spare fob, when back to the stranded car and it unlocked and drove home fine. Out of curiosity, I then tried the "dead" fob and it worked fine, so something must have just required a reset. However, since that point I've been fearful of another failure and knowing that Mini Emergency are about as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard, have been carrying both fobs everywhere with me.

Anyway, prior to my car going to the dealer to have the issue sorted, I wrote to Mini and made the point quite vociferiously, given that I know Mini of old, that purely because they cannot find a fault with the fob it does not mean I do not want it replacing. In fact, it justifies replacement even more, as they hypothetically are clueless as to why it's doing it which means it has an equal chance of doing so again.

Anyway, I dropped my car off today with the dealer to have the matter looked at and asked the guy on the service desk what will happen if they don't find anything and he assured me BMW/Mini will not give them authorisation to replace anything if they cannot find a fault.

That being the case, how do I go about making it clear that I wish to log this as the first unfixed fault (should it come to it) under the UK Consumer Credit Act (or whatever it is) and that they have only two more strikes before I gain the option to exercise my right to terminate the PCP agreement? Assuming I haven't got my wires crossed and I will actually possess that right, assuming it happens on two more occasions without them acting to resolve the matter.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Some areas are affected by radio waves which block the fob. Not heard of it recently but might be not the fault of the car. Any others having the same in the area?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Some areas are affected by radio waves which block the fob.
This. Up until a few years ago, Sydney CBD had a monorail system which looped in and around the city. For reasons unknown (and I will probably never find out now it's been ripped out), car keyfobs would inexplicably fail to talk to cars directly under many parts of the monorail track, especially near the monorail stations.

DJ

PS Google has a bit of the old monorail in their Australian office

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
To anyone reading, if you need to start the car with a dead fob, touch the key to the key and arrows symbol on the right side of the steering column and hit the START/STOP switch to start the car.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To anyone reading, if you need to start the car with a dead fob, touch the key to the key and arrows symbol on the right side of the steering column and hit the START/STOP switch to start the car.
Ah yes, I forgot to mention this as didn't know whether it was correct or not. When MINI Emergency failed monumentally, I then telephoned the dealer from where it came brand new back in March. Unfortunately the service department had left for the day, but Sales were still there.

I was questioning the significance of the key and the arrows on the steering column as I couldn't imagine there was no way of starting it. He advised me to try holding the fob there and starting, but said he thought that was only to register an "unpaired" or virgin fob, but given alternative ideas were thin on the ground, I tried it anyway.

I imagine this would be a valid resolution in most cases where the fob is low on power or there is interference, but if it is just defective and temporarily dead, or something on the car is not working, it doesn't matter how close I get to the steering column - I may as well be holding a squeezed lemon next to it.

Nevertheless, I have decided to now treat the current spare as my new main fob and if I get the same symptoms again, we can say it's some intermittent fault with the car or I'm just very unlucky.

Either way, 3rd Cooper S on the bounce, 6th BMW product on the bounce since 2005, general reliability and woeful customer service continue and still I carry on buying... Maybe the next Fiesta won't be like a tip inside, maybe the RS1 will be good to drive, maybe the Polo R will be any good. Will someone make something good so I can leave BMW please. I love their products but they and their stinky attitude to customers continually bring me down.

On my way to pick my car back up this morning and see if it's the first time a dealer doesn't damage my car in some way. I've never used this one before so fingers crossed...

I remember a certain dealer in Crewe four years ago (before ownership changed) ragged my old R56 senseless on a test drive and did 75mph in a 60 zone and 45 in a 30 and used it as a taxi to ferry workers between their two sites on my fuel when they didn't know I had a dashcam installed. Great bunch of guys.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good grief not the best experience then. We are very p!eased with soper Lincoln and sytner Nottingham.
Just picked it up. I now have updated software on my instrument panel so I get a nice little red and blue hot/cold gauge and also what used to be a serious of bars in the Green display is now some groovy nicely moving thing which still makes no sense.

However, just doing my inspection before driving it off their property. Two very obvious scratches. One quite deep. Marched back in with my assertive face on, but with little fuss they gave me the benefit of the doubt and it's booked in the body shop at their cost in a couple of weeks time.

I think I am going to have to insist on us both inspecting my car when I drop it off in the future. Five Mini dealers across three different Minis have all managed to prang, dent, scratch or defile my car, or perhaps while it's left in a bay some unscrupulous MOTP comes along and just does it. I don't know. But when it's in their care, I expect just that: care.

But anyway, they made what had the potential to be an awkward situation very good and have got it all sorted. I'm not Captain Assertive of the good ship Ballsy, so I wouldn't just go in there and try my look with some pre-existing damage. But why? Good grief. Every time I leave a car with any dealer it comes back slightly damaged.

They haven't even had time to get to know me and therefore hate me yet, so it can't even have been justifiably malicious!

Oh well...

Deep breaths.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.