Mini Cooper Forum banner

Definitive JCW Brake Clearance and Wheel Fitment Thread

44K views 126 replies 26 participants last post by  drimkeik 
#1 ·
I've searched the forum and we only have bits an bobs of information of info regarding fitting wheels over the JCW Brembo brakes. Pictures are also super important too (I'll share as I go along). I'm not talking 'good enough' fit here, the fit needs to be perfect and not poke beyond arches or foul on the arch when running low (I'm on ST XA coilovers).

I have a Cooper SE which I've fitted the JCW Brembo front brakes. I have two sets of wheels. Firstly, my winter wheels are the JCW track spoke Style 501 7x17 et54 with 205/45 Michelin Alpin tyres (these fit no probs as an OEM wheel).

I'd also bought Sparco Asseto Gara in 8x18 et48 - I'd assumed these fit but they don't clear (I tested last night). Even with a 5mm spacer they don't clear and then we're into ever so slight poke which will foul on the arch when low.

Can we build up a thread that people can find in a search please? If there is a thread please link to it.

Questions from me: which OZ aftermarket wheels fit perfectly? 8x18 et45? 7.5x18 better?

#89 ·
Just found this place selling Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 with an ET35?

Exclusive Motorsport wheels as used in MINI Challenge JCW Class?
Team Dynamics Wheel For the F series MINI is a highly engineered lightweight motorsport wheel that maintains it?s strength exceeding German TUV quality standards whilst offering a fashionable 12 spoke design that looks great on any MINI.
The Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 weighs just 8.3kg As used by the Mini Challenge F56 JCWs in BTCC
17 x 8 5 x 112 ET35
Supplied in Gloss Black

#90 ·
Awesome if you’re happy to buy extended arches, and only use these on a track days (y)
otherwise these will destroy your oem aches, after your 1st pothole, possibly fail an mot due to poke/exposed tyre if you use the recommended tyre size for this wider rim.
you could attempt to stretch or stance your car past the test with some extra camber, good luck 🤞

Reactions: Fivetones
#93 · (Edited)
Reactions: Kaner
#94 ·
“Bespoke Touring Car inspired aero kit” (in the fact sheet linked above).

Look at the pic of mine above. If you ran 205/45 on the 17s then the fronts would sit around 12.5mm further out. The JCW arches do have a lip (that mine don’t) but it doesn’t help with clearance at all. You could run a fair bit higher and you could get away with it I guess. Mind you, some of this is taste and some of this is pure practicality.

The rears would be 10mm further out but the arch clearance is very different internally at the back compared to the front arches.

#96 ·
Sorry but if you follow the original link it is to a racing team supplier for motorsport wheels

These are 17 x 8 5 x 112 ET35
i
f you really believe that these were an oem fit to a road mini on original factory suspension you need to take a step back and do some more research;)

just because they are both supplied by team dynamics, is not compelling evidence
i have ran 2 different sets of team dynamics on my r53 and they don’t fit either….
google the name above my car ….my information is good.

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Window

Reactions: Fivetones
#97 · (Edited)
@XX22 JCW - if you’re thinking about 17in TDs, then you’d need to find used 7.5J ET37s on ebay, they’re hard to come by, but I did see a set recently. The 8.5J ET35 you found, will be further cca 10mm out, so they will poke.

Also 7.5J ET37 is almost identical set up (cca 3mm further in) to my 8J ET40 in terms of how wide they’d stand, so below photos will give you an idea of what it may look like. Mine are 18s though, you could get them from Demon Tweeks. I have lowering springs on but no other changes done to the suspension, and there’s plenty of clearance everywhere. I often have to go off-road on countryside dirt tracks where I live and there’s been no rubbing so far, plus the stance is flush and looks rather lovely. Hope this helps.

Sky Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Cloud
Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Sky Tire
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grille Hood
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Sky
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

#98 ·
If anyone else is still struggling to understand, please read below direct from BMW UK press department.

Camber adjustment plates on the front axle allow for an increase in negative camber, with John Cooper Works Challenge possessing two degrees of negative camber on both the front and rear axle. Thanks to both camber and castor being adjustable, the suspension geometry of the new car is significantly different to that of the standard car.

MINI John Cooper Works Challenge retains the 17” wheel size of the standard John Cooper Works Hatch, but features 215/45 R17 tyres on a 7.5” wheel, 0.5” wider than the original specification rim that uses a 205/45 R17. The wheels are also specifically chosen for ultimate performance: the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 rims save 1.5kg of unsprung mass per corner. Combined with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2, this weight advantage further increases to 2.5kg per corner.

#109 ·
Bola VST - Polished Gunmetal - 17x7.5

I had these installed the other day. The front wheel easily clears the caliper and the the wheel is nearly flush. The rear is tucked. Bola was absolutely great in response time and sending out the wheels. I am okay with the color. I didn't want black or silver, but something in between. While a dark grey would have been my preference, there are not a lot of options with 17" rims. The tires are 205/45 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Season. They came off of my Miata, but may look at 215/45 in the future.

Ride quality and handling are so much better. The difference is not subtle, and is more likely the elimination of the runflats versus going down in size. I would really like to get mudflats to reduce road dirt from the front wheels. Mini says the 2021 version won't fit, but wonder if anyone tried them.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tread
Wheel Tire Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire

#114 ·
Any help appreciated - I have a 2019 f56 JCW on lowered NM springs and am thinking about some OZ Veloce 18x8 45ET.
I already have some Michelin pilot 215x40x18 tyres.
Has anyone tried this setup taking into account that here in Australia spacers are illegal which has really done my head in trying to find something suitable.

#116 ·
Any help appreciated - I have a 2019 f56 JCW on lowered NM springs and am thinking about some OZ Veloce 18x8 45ET.
I already have some Michelin pilot 215x40x18 tyres.
Has anyone tried this setup taking into account that here in Australia spacers are illegal which has really done my head in trying to find something suitable.
You ever mount those? Any pictures?
I'm debating on OZ 18x8 45ET wheels on 225/40-18 tires on stock ride height or 215/40-18 tires w/ NM springs.

#115 ·
Wheels: Enkei - TS9 - 17x8 (ET45)
Tires: Continental - Extreme Contact Sport - 215/45R17
Hub Centric Rings: Wheel Connect (from Amazon) 72.56 to 66.56
TPMS: BHSens with Black Metal Valve Stems
Spacers: 2MM Dinan Spacers

WEIGHT:
OEM Style 501 17" with HANKOOK- OPTIMO H426B HRS [Run Flats]: 46.6lbs
Enkei TS9 17" with CONTINENTAL- EXTREME CONTACT SPORT: 38.6lbs

I installed these wheels on my 2022 F56 JCW. As stated by other F56 owners with this same wheel, on stock height and with 215/45 wheels, it'll clear the strut and front JCW calipers without spacers. However, it is REAL CLOSE to the JCW front caliper, about 1mm. I went with 2mm spacers to give a bit more space between the caliper and spoke as I plan on doing some tracking.
Absolutely love the look and noticeable improvement in ride quality and steering feel

#123 ·
Hello guys! New here...

I would like to change the whole braking system on my MCS LCI2. I was thinking of adding the JCW kit but I cannot find any info if this will fit my wheels. I got the 18" Pulse Spoke.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light

Do you possibly know if I can use the JCW kit? I have asked Mini but didn't get an answer. The official Mini retailer in my country, said that this wheel has same exact dimensions with a JCW one, so it might fit and if not, it will with the use of spacers.

But I don't want to use spacers.

Could someone help please?

Also, does someone know if the JCW kit is the same with a Brembo one? And if yes with which one? I don't like the red color, that's why I am asking.

I could also fit tarox, wilwood, or another brand, if fit will be better.

Thank you for your time and sorry for the long post!