Mini Cooper Forum banner
521 - 540 of 544 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is anyone else waiting on the supposedly imminent delivery of a JCW from Oxford ? Having been ordered 1st week of July, my build was complete by the end of week 45 (w/ending 14 Nov) with delivery to dealer week 47. It didn't arrive and I'm now being told week 49. Concerned if it slips one more week it'll get caught in the Christmas shutdown. Not a happy chappy !!:mad:
ordered 13/10/21 brought it home today now sat in our garage love it :)👍

·
Super Moderator
8,224 Posts
Not if its registered after the change. I'd tell them to wait and get a 22plate.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yay Baby Blue is coming Home to Moma! 😉😂😂

Sorry, can you tell I am excited 😆 just had a call from our dealer and our Car arrived today 😮 and Colecting on Friday 😮🎉🍾been so nice chatting here whilst waiting and seeing others lovely Cars come through and thank you for all the helpful info 👍

·
Premium Member
F56 JCW and Classic
647 Posts
Yay Baby Blue is coming Home to Moma! 😉😂😂

Sorry, can you tell I am excited 😆 just had a call from our dealer and our Car arrived today 😮 and Colecting on Friday 😮🎉🍾been so nice chatting here whilst waiting and seeing others lovely Cars come through and thank you for all the helpful info 👍
Fantastic news congratulations!

I hope you are going to stick around for a bit, show us some pictures and share your experiences. It’s great to see how people are getting on with their cars and see what events they have been to.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Fantastic news congratulations!

I hope you are going to stick around for a bit, show us some pictures and share your experiences. It’s great to see how people are getting on with their cars and see what events they have been to.
But of course …. do you really think I would leave without seeing your handover 😮😂🍾 👍

·
Registered
323 Posts
Not if its registered after the change. I'd tell them to wait and get a 22plate.
Sorry if this is derailing the entire conversation here, but what does it matter getting a 71 plate or not? I had to google what these plate's are and it appears to be just a number in the serialization.

Is there some sort of tax benefit to getting a newer or older plate number? The car is a 2022, what difference does the actual number on the plate mean? And can't you just get a custom "vanity" plate, or is that not an option in England?

·
Premium Member
F56 JCW and Classic
647 Posts
Sorry if this is derailing the entire conversation here, but what does it matter getting a 71 plate or not? I had to google what these plate's are and it appears to be just a number in the serialization.

Is there some sort of tax benefit to getting a newer or older plate number? The car is a 2022, what difference does the actual number on the plate mean? And can't you just get a custom "vanity" plate, or is that not an option in England?
It only matters if you want to appear to have the latest cars, the plates change every 6 months so you can tell if a vehicle is one of the very latest.

You can get vanity plates though (but not like you can get in the states) which make the whole thing irrelevant. When I eventually get mine it will be registered with a plate which makes it look 12 months old.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It only matters if you want to appear to have the latest cars, the plates change every 6 months so you can tell if a vehicle is one of the very latest.

You can get vanity plates though (but not like you can get in the states) which make the whole thing irrelevant. When I eventually get mine it will be registered with a plate which makes it look 12 months old.
So people in the UK are looking at the plate numbers to determine the year of the car, and not the styling/LCI? Interesting!

I wouldn't wait an extra day to pick up my Mini for something so trivial, lol.

·
Premium Member
F56 JCW and Classic
647 Posts
So people in the UK are looking at the plate numbers to determine the year of the car, and not the styling/LCI? Interesting!

I wouldn't wait an extra day to pick up my Mini for something so trivial, lol.
The styling would be the biggest thing but there are some that value the number on the number plate as they see newer as better. They change twice a year on 1st March and 1st September. If you have a car that's registered at the end of February or the end of August then when you come to trade it in the dealer will not give you as much for it as one registered a couple of days later.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The styling would be the biggest thing but there are some that value the number on the number plate as they see newer as better. They change twice a year on 1st March and 1st September. If you have a car that's registered at the end of February or the end of August then when you come to trade it in the dealer will not give you as much for it as one registered a couple of days later.
But what if you register a used car that's 10 years old? Wouldn't it get a new plate number? It would be cool to be driving around in a 2022 Saab...

I find it to be absurd that trade in values are affected by this, as the car's year is independent from when you register it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
But what if you register a used car that's 10 years old? Wouldn't it get a new plate number? It would be cool to be driving around in a 2022 Saab...

I find it to be absurd that trade in values are affected by this, as the car's year is independent from when you register it.
Cars here are issued with a registration number and it stays with the car for its life.

When you buy a vanity plate here, you own that number and can be transferred between age appropriate cars - a car registered in 2002 can have a non-prefix or prefix plate (ABC 123, A123 ABC for instance), or the new plate style up to a 52-plate.

Sounds very confusing now I've typed all that out, but it's really not. Honest...

·
Premium Member
F56 JCW and Classic
647 Posts

A used car is a used car so it can't be registered again. If you import a car from abroad then it will have a plate that is in line with the year of when it was first used on the road.

If you can find a brand new unregistered Saab then you could register is on the latest and newest plate though.

·
Registered
208 Posts

You can't register a car and make it look younger. You can register a car and make it look older though, my car now has '60' plate from 2010 but the 60 together with the next 3 letters spell my surname if you read the 6 as a G. Current UK plates are in the format XX71 XXX or XX 60XXX. The X's are always letters, the first 2 denote the area the car was first registered and the last 3 are random.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yay Baby Blue is coming Home to Moma!

Sorry, can you tell I am excited just had a call from our dealer and our Car arrived today and Colecting on Friday been so nice chatting here whilst waiting and seeing others lovely Cars come through and thank you for all the helpful info
Brilliant news Sue, and no I couldn’t tell your excitement

521 - 540 of 544 Posts