Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you expect your Mini to devalue over 3 years?

In New Zealand I would expect a standard manual Cooper @40,000ks with no extras to drop 50% which would be around 250 pounds or $425 US dollars per month. This includes all taxes and on road costs when purchasing from new.

If you add extras you could be looking at a lot more as you never get any of your money back on extras.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I do find extras such as Chilli pack tends to attract buyers. Especially when they are already looking at something specific such as the Cooper S. Also heard Xenon lights are very desirable as well.
Personally, I wouldn't buy any car without the keyless entry option.
(Also Cooper S specifically retains their value the best, throughout the whole car world according to some report)
BTW: Also in NZ myself. Anyluck with negotiating with your Mini Garage ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't done any pricing yet and only negotiate when I'm sure i'm going to buy at the end of each month. I'm waiting to have a test drive in a Cooper with standard seats plus a 2015 build as they will be a better build quality. I don't fit very well in Mini's small sports seats so Cooper S is out as well the Cooper Chilli pack. I'm only buying the Mini as a toy replacing my motorbike I sold in April. Still have my enduro bike for the trails.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's really low mileage for that sort of depreciation as far as the UK would be concerned, but a reasonable rule of thumb is that you'll lose 50-60% to depreciation over 3 years. While it may be that some extras don't retain much value, it is also true that the absence of certain extras can also make a car harder to sell. For example, a MINI in Alaska might sell a lot better if it has heated seats and heated windscreen. The same extras in Sicily would add nothing, I imagine.

For someone aiming to keep the car for a longer time, the calculations and reasonings will be completely different to someone who has bought on credit and aims to change the car after 3 years.

Obviously the best way to avoid the biggest depreciation drop is to not buy new. To buy a 2014 MINI in a year's time rather than a new 2015 model. Personally the wait would kill me, especially if I was on this forum a lot!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't done any pricing yet and only negotiate when I'm sure i'm going to buy at the end of each month.
I'm also interested if you do try Kiwi - I've heard Mini Garage NZ is extremely difficult to negotiate any discount with.

(If anyone interested), there are only four authorised new Mini dealers in NZ (Mini Garage NZ) so probably impossible to play dealers off against eachother. Additionally as on road costs and 3yrs servicing is included in the base price of all NZ new Mini's, can't use those as negotiation points... maybe one of the cheaper options thrown in?

Not aware of any NZ based brokers who believe they can negotiate a discount with Mini (please let me know if anyone knows of any!)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not wanting to hijack this thread to become Mini NZ Negotiation. But ...
I've had some exprience with NZ Mini lately. In particular with the F56.

The short of it: They will NOT budge. Not even for a few bucks.
Saw them letting potential customer walked out the door for $103 on an F56 deal.

The sale man told me that they have a fix price policy on the F56. I didn't believe him at first. But after phoning up and down the country. They all gave me the same exact answer... So either take it or leave it?

Being the sucker that I am, I took it in the end. But did get some accidental sweetener for being the early bird ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not wanting to hijack this thread to become Mini NZ Negotiation. But ...
Officially hijacked :D

Thanks for that info. I suspected there would be no negotiation on base price, however harboured hope of some negotiation on the odd option.

where's that lottery ticket I haven't checked....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know their is no moving on the price in NZ but may get a better trade in deal. The standard Cooper I thought was well priced. I still may purchase the new BMW 2 convertible in November.
I'm still worried about rattles in the Mini which their were a couple in the Cooper S I drove last week. I would be their worst customer if the Mini started to rattle. My BMW 116i is rattle free after 2 years.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Imo, the no haggling is preferable due to a few reason:
. Your car retains it's value alot better (same as Honda policy) and MCS do holds on to their value very well in NZ.
. Mini NZ pricing is comparable with rest of world when all things considered (tax, stamp duty, "dealer delivery fee"). This is huge as looking at other Eur brands in the VW group. The margin they wack on NZ cars are INSANE!!

Mini Rattling: Yup, the VO Cooper I tested also rattles due to rear window seal. They fixed it subsequent to my feedback.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I believe it's the same story here in Australia. Pricing is set and you cannot budge. Obviously if the car has been sitting on the showroom floor for a while, you can haggle a little.

Here is the historyTrade ins on my previous Coopers (in AUD)

2004 Mini Cooper R50 - bought in 2005 sold in 2007: $24000
2007 Mini Cooper R56 - bought in 2007 sold in 2012: $12000
2012 Mini Cooper S Coupe R59 - bought in 2012: offered $22000

My last two came with Chili Pack, Navigation, Automatic, leather seats, Chrime Line Interior and Exterior. The Coupe came with Harman Kardon, And a few more tweaks

That's more than 50% depreciation after two years

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder what a stock standard Cooper 2-3 years trade in at. If you load a Cooper up you could almost double it's price. So if you keep it a standard manual over 3 years you would lose a minimum of 18k.
The Auckland dealer couldn't even fit the rear number plate with out it rattling on the test Cooper S. I wish their was competition like their is with 2 BMW dealers in Auckland. I even over herd the dealer saying they don't want Mini Rays or Mini Ones back on their lot only Coopers and above.
Honda I'm to young for one of those you would have to be really old to even think of buying one. It would be your last car before the nursing home. Honda would be the most boring company out their.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Imo, the no haggling is preferable due to a few reason: Your car retains it's value alot better (same as Honda policy).
2nd hand MINI's do seem to hold their value well in NZ (assuming they fetch near their asking price) and agree that minimal discounting should help that.
It's perhaps not quite that simple though as people typically spend 30%+ of base price on options on top when purchasing. Therefore resale vs base price looks very impressive, but if against what the car actually cost, probably less so. I think Mini NZ guarantee 47% buy back (base value) after 3yrs (mileage limited) when using their lease options.

OMG, am I back on the thread topic! :eek:

I'm also skeptical about Honda. Ive got a mate who had a Toyota Camry and an Accord Euro (wife liked the extra room of the Camry). His version of the Honda policy was the dealer made the money i.e. % depreciation of both was similar for his pocket, the difference was the resale dealer margin on the Accord was over double the Camry...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Smart money would be to NOT spend a cent on any extra options. Even smarter money would dictates NOT to buy the F56 at all and wait for a second hand or go for the run our R56 super special.
Actually, if logic prevails, you wouldn't even go for a Mini. A 2nd hand Golf GTI carries the same performance, pedigree and 2 extra doors with actually rear seats to take your kids in.
And 1/2 the price.

But, at the end of the day, IMHO, Mini is definitely something you'd buy with your heart, not your head.
And depreciation means very little if your heart was to lead the way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts