Mini Cooper Forum banner

Depreciation!

13K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Furbytom 
#1 ·
Jesus..... Got a trade in price on my 31k list Jcw that's 8 months old with 12000 miles on the clock, wait for it........£19200
Thats with everything but HUD selected option wise.

Shocked.com

#2 ·
Ouch! I've got a MCS which has just gone a year old and was looking at others the same age and you can grab one for circa £17k! Mine was £23k so would probably mean I'd be looking at £15k trade in tops.
This would mean a 35% depreciation in the first year alone!
This is closer to 40% for you but in 8 month on a JCW.
This is my first Mini and was told that they don't depreciate as bad as other marque's......hhmmm looks like they saw me coming.

#6 ·
......hhmmm looks like they saw me coming.
You and me both!

I took a HUGE hit in depreciation on my 3-year old BMW M135 I traded in for the new JCW I bought last month (They told me that BMWs are one of the worst cars for depreciation in Japan while JCW depreciate very little).

I tend to change sports cars every year or two but suppose this means I too, will be driving the JCW for a bit longer than I thought.

Looks like I truly am the proverbial "sucker born every minute"... :(

#7 ·
If your selling through a car dealership ( aka stealer ) then your going to get the worst price possible, even lower than bottom of wholesaler prices. Not sure what you have overseas but in Australia there are reference sites that you can use to gauge the price of your car in real terms such as redbook or carsguide, carsales etc.
They usually give you 3 reference points pending what method you use to sell/buy
Wholesale - lowest and easiest.
Car yard
Private - best for selling but hardest way as well.

The only negotiations you can have with a stealer is when your buying something on their lot that they want to move and then its just paper shuffling. It actually doesnt matter what your tradein car is worth, the only thing that maters is what your willing to pay for the exchange.

#8 ·
Hi

It's been discussed on here before but as Minis can have a lot of optional extras that cost an arm and a leg and it sounds like your one is fully loaded , this can make a higher drop in trade in prices. The trade in price is judged on the basic car with little for the options if at all.

When this is taken into account the Mini is supposed to be one of the best for residuals . Very few cars lose less than 30% during the first year.

If there is an up side to this is that nearly new fully loaded Mini can be bought for what seems like a bargain. My ex Mini owned MCS which is fully loaded dropped £8k in 8 months from list price. A £20k car with £8k of options seems a high percentage of the cost which isn't worth much on the residual value.

#10 ·
You all need to remember you lose at least 20% (UK VAT) when you drive out of the showroom. Depreciation levels don't tend to slow down until 3 years or so....guess that's so people don't pull out of PCP deals so easily?

#12 ·
Not technically true as the dealership has to account for VAT on secondhand cars too so what you are offered is just a price that compares to the (gross) price you originally paid. Price reflects supply and demand and one of biggest influencers on that will be deals available on new ones now.

I suspect the novelty of the new model has worn off and Mini are having to try harder to sell new ones - which means secondhand ones have to be cheaper...

Ian

#20 ·
I'm getting an A45 AMG, reason being I'm a car ***** and still havent found the complete package, drover the M3, RS3 & A45 and the AMG was the most suited to my needs. I had an urge to move the power up a level and with the new car tax coming in April 17 I knew I'd need a car before then.....didnt think it would be right now but managed £6k discount off the merc so swallowed my neg equity.

#21 ·
I thought I was bad 4 hot hatches in 3 years, VXR, S3,Cupra 265 and the JCW in just over 3 years. I think my JCW will go soon too, I may keep it through the summer not sure tbh but it's just to small, sometimes I wish I'd of just kept the S3 and mapped it, I would of owned it by now. Oh well what's done is done.

What made you sell up jimbo?

Let us know how you get on with the AMG as its on my list for the next motor, although I do really like the S3 saloon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.