Mini Cooper Forum banner

Design killer on F55

10K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Alex.R 
#1 ·
I have seen 10 F55 on a trailer when I was at the dealer 2 weeks ago:
Just had a quick look and opened the hatch (would not dare to call it a door) >:D

Today I was at the local dealer to check a few more options, as I am to place my order for the F55 tomorrow.

On first view the F56 and F55 look similar, front, rear and to some extend the side.... but now something weird and ugly:
The doors of the F55 have a rim, while the door of the F56 are glass only.

Here the rear door image.

And here from the outside:

Why??!!! My colleague has a BMW3 GT loaner and both doors, front and rear end up in glass. Why have ugly border around window, front and backdoor. :crying:

#Design #Fail - something that can be fixed for the 2016 facelift model!

See less See more
#3 ·
Wonder if the door rims structurally need them?
Is the rear doors bigger than the mini clubman rear side door? I think that was referred to as the suicide door in the UK as they never moved it to the left hand side here!

#8 ·
I prefer the Cooper design over the Countryman design. And Cooper is 2 wheel drive... And design is different. Cooper bit more iconic.

other reason might be: in NL a lot of company cars need to be 5 doors. Don't know if that is different in other countries.

#10 ·
Wow! I had not realized that the doors would be framed. What a difference over the F56. The rear doors are definitely bigger than the "suicide" door on a Clubman. But what the clubman door had going for it was that there was no post between the doors. This created a huge opening provided the passenger (on left hand drive vehicles) seat was tilted forward. Downside with the Clubbie was that no one could get in the backseat while the front one was occupied. With the F55 someone can get into the back without disrupting the front occupants. But I'm thinking this would only apply to very small people or children. Honestly as a 6 foot 4 inch tall guy most MINI backseats are out of bounds anyway, but I could easily climb into the backseat of the Clubbie. I'm not sure it could even fit through the rear door of a F55. And the smaller front doors don't look too inviting either.

#12 ·
Hi, did you place the order for your new F55?
I'm near to place it too (for a Cooper D) but I'm still to decide about the colour combination...I'd like it Moonwalking Grey metallic w/black roof and Silver Cosmos Spoke 17'' wheels, but I also like it British Racing Green metallic w/white roof and Silver Cosmos Spoke 17'' wheels...
I know they're 2 opposite configurations!!!!! And that's why I'm not able to decide...
I also would like the Blu Lapisluxury of Mini Yours program but I'm afraid it would cost too much...do you know how much does it cost???
Thanks

#13 ·
Finally the lease company will have the option to choose the F55. So Friday I will be at dealer to order my Mini F55.
For me there are two color option I really like: Silver White, black roof, stripes, windows and wheels. So in contrast as much black on the white silver.
As I have now a big White Ford S-Max, black pano roof, black windows, black Ford logos, I am not going for this Silver White F55 (again >:D )

My choice is Thunder grey with everything black. Only the F55 wheels Roulette are a bit lighter/sportier than the full black spoke.

#14 ·
Hi everyone!

Has anyone ordered their F55 yet? I ordered mine back in July and have been told this week that it is actually already built. Obviously I know the launch isn't until the end of October but just wondered if anyone else had heard a similar thing?

Thanks

Katie :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.