Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally detailed the JCW. :thumbsup:

*full front Xpel Ultimate clear bra installed by Motor City Auto Spa. Excellent work. I love how the bonnet is one-piece. They even temporarily removed the washer nozzles so there's no seam around them, but now under them.

*Wash with Optimum Car Wash, Autogeek ultra plush microfiber mitt
*blow-dry with electric blower, finish with waffle weave microfiber towel

*With my Porter Cable random orbital and Autogeek CCS soft green foam pad, I used Zaino All-In-One single step cleaner and polish. What I love about this particular product is the lack of fillers, so only clean paint remains after you buff it off.

*Wipe down with a 40% isopropyl alcohol / 60% distilled water mix. This ensures I fully removed all AIO residue

*Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 using the provided yellow foam applicator. I've now used the 20cc syringe to cover 3 small cars (others were Abarth and Miata) and still have about 5cc's left. You only need a 2 micron thickness for it to flash cure. :) Even then I still over-applied it to the doors and rear fenders, as I did those last but didn't keep dialing back how many drops I put on the applicator. I went back with an ultra plush microfiber to buff off the surplus Opti-Coat and now it's perfect and haze-free.

The results are excellent, plus now the car is fully protected for the Detroit winter onslaught combination of snow, salt, and crumbling infrastructure.

JCW detailing by Ryephile, on Flickr

Here's a picture of the driver side door. You can barely make out the door handle in the upper right corner. Shiny!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ryephile Wow that is seriously crazy i just showed a co worker who didnt even notice the 3rd picture wasn't just a picture of a tree and fence.

Hey would you be able to get some shots of your hood with the clear bra. That same one is what i was looking at having installed but i planned to do the entire front clip of the car.

Im curious to see how it looks after its been waxed.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I used the alcohol/distilled water trick before polishing too! You need to use some of that left over clear bra protectorant to put in your door jams to prevent the infamous gasket rub!

John

Reactions: Ryephile

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent finish great depth of shine and great clarity
Since I see that you're big into detailing, I take that as high praise indeed. :D

Here are more pictures I shot this evening. First one shows how invisible the clear bra on the bonnet is being one single piece and wrapping around the edges really makes it visually disappear.

RYE_0545.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

Ok here's the evidence it's on there. There's a vertical parting line right at the MINI badge where two arms of the clear bra wrap around the "hood scoop". Also, both the chili red color spar and the gloss black bumper cover is clear bra'd, and I love how glossy it is.

RYE_0553.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

Random fun super wide angle shot

RYE_0581.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

...and these two demonstrate how lighting plays a big role. One is in basically clear sky, and the other is underneath a shade tree.

RYE_0570.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

RYE_0562.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

Cheers,
Ryan

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Lowering your JCW makes it look the way it should come from the factory imo...the 17" wheels look too small at stock height. The way you have it makes the car look much better!:)

John

Reactions: Ryephile

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Ryan I think the key is always be brave with Black as results when done properly speak for themselves its just having had a few black cars in past the times I'm to busy to care properly for them it's not good seems any micro marring can be seen a mile away but with good coating and well maintained, you can pull it off IMHO
Our Beemer is 2 years old past May and just polished out a couple of marks last week but apart from that still looks as good as when done , I just need to coat the glass again as it makes a huge difference to the look of the car with windows all ceramic coated.
You should post up those pics on Detailing Nation they would love those on there

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
A stunning car; the door pic is amazing and i had to look really hard for the handle; pretty darn good paintwork on them minis! Not much orange peel there. I do really like black. Some of your shots might interest the marketing team!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.