1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
My god! I feel bad about how I treated my Mini so far. I'll have to step up and put some "arm sweat" on it!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha, I've spent numerous evenings on detailing sites, thinking what I can treat mine to when it comes home. Between me and the OH we spend a fortune on potions, lotions and gadgets.
Can't decide between sealent and wax on the orange, gut is thinking wax ..... bought a £120 pot of wax for the RCZ and ended up deciding sealent was better on her......so I need to use it!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My god! I feel bad about how I treated my Mini so far. I'll have to step up and put some "arm sweat" on it!
You don't need elbow grease if you keep on top of it, make it a regular thing. When I was younger detailing could take a whole day ('cos I only did it twice a year) but the better condition you keep the car in, the less time it tends to take. I trully believe the more effort you put in, the more you'll get out. The full works takes me about 3 hours on the RCZ. MINI should be quicker, being smaller :)

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
52 Posts
It always surprises me how many people do not look after their cars. I think that part of the problem is that there are no real rewards to be had from keeping your car nice and clean and as free from damage as possible, as most dealers when looking at part exchange values etc will barely look at the car coming in as a part ex. They just assume the next punter through the doors won't care too much and buy it anyway or auction it off.
Personally I love looking after my cars and will continue to do so, but there are a lot of people that are happy to use and abuse the cars they buy. Each to their own I guess, not judging or accusing anyone of anything, just an observation.

As an aside, I'm looking forward to applying some finishkare fk1000p sealant to my new white silver MCS to help keep it in tip top!

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
LOL, elbow grease! That's the expression I was looking for :)

You don't need elbow grease if you keep on top of it, make it a regular thing. When I was younger detailing could take a whole day ('cos I only did it twice a year) but the better condition you keep the car in, the less time it tends to take. I trully believe the more effort you put in, the more you'll get out. The full works takes me about 3 hours on the RCZ. MINI should be quicker, being smaller :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Why bother the car is only going to be worth 50% of what you paid in 3 years. All you need to do is wash it every 2 to 3 weeks and that should take less than an hour.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
We clean Mrs W's every week. One of the downsides to having a black car. Terrified of swirl marks on it too...:(

·
Registered
52 Posts
We clean Mrs W's every week. One of the downsides to having a black car. Terrified of swirl marks on it too...:(
I've had a couple of black cars over the years, they look great when new. After a couple years they still look good at ten paces away, it's when you get up close and can see all the imperfections, that's why I have promised myself not to buy anymore black cars, the OCD sufferer inside me just can't handle it anymore lol. Going to be bad enough with just a black roof, caps and wheels!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad I'm not the only obsessive! Will be good to hear about all the products that everyone uses :)

Reactions: Solar red

·
Registered
734 Posts
OK... I admit to being a beginner at this. I did while away some miniless hours by learning about the two bucket method and that mitts with a deep pile are better than sponges.

So I bought myself two mop buckets (I reckon the mop strainers can be used like a grit guard), two synthetic but fluffy mitts (not the noodly ones) and a large microfibre towel...

I still need advice about shampoo... would like to get away with just a wash and a rinse and a dry.

Also, any thoughts about tap water versus rain water?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can 'get away' with a wash/rinse/dry :) try and have a good coat of wax though - and a shampoo that contains wax can help top up the coating. Try and avoid shampoos that can can be harsh on wax/sealant (I like Autofinesse).
Do you live in a hard water area? Do you get water marks if you don't dry the car? It helps to use a Quick Detailer straight after drying (also adds to protection). Good QD sprays are Dodo Juice and Poorboys (none of these are very ££££). I've heard of people in hard water areas installing water purifiers to avoid water marks ...thankfully we have soft water :)

It can be a minefield to those who are starting out ..... Polished Bliss is a great website that has lots of information about what to use/how to use it/what to use in conjunction with it etc etc.

Remind me Mark, what colour is your MINI? I tend to find darker metallics respond best to sealant rather than wax. I think Volc will be best with wax.

Reactions: MintMark

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why bother the car is only going to be worth 50% of what you paid in 3 years. All you need to do is wash it every 2 to 3 weeks and that should take less than an hour.
Each to their own Kiwi. IMO a car worth spending a lot of money on is worth keeping in great condition. It's also quite therapeutic!
I'd much rather folk look at my car and think "Wow, that looks awesome" than "Wow, that looks like a shed"

·
Registered
734 Posts
It's going to be green... which I think will be quite dark. I'm in a hard water area but I collect rainwater in a water butt so I could use that.

I just read about detailing spray and that sounds like a good way to maintain a finish. It sounds like half the job is a regular inspection and quickly attending to any problems.

So with the sprays... is it OK if they end up on chrome, lights, mirrors and window seals or tyres? Don't want to interfere with any cameras or sensors either.

I have to say... this is about as confusing as the beauty section in Boots! ;)

·
Registered
471 Posts
@MintMark the only thing I'd say about using rain water collected in a water butt - just watch out for leaves and dirt because believe me it will find its way inside the water butt. I use rain water to water the garden and will be using the power washer via water butt to clean patio but not the car just in case.

I bought Sonax quick detailer £12 ( a spray) to help sell my audi and it gives a magnificent result, plenty of beading and is great on the windows (not used on windscreen but all others) but most of all last a long time. Easy to apply.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mark, don't use waterbutt water....yuck! A powerwasher really doesn't use much water, much less than a regular hose. If you do have a powerwasher, I'd recommend a snowfoam lance, gets rid of most of the muck before a washmitt goes near your paintwork.
QD is safe to use on everything. I tried a new product tonight actually. It's THE MUTTS!! Gyeon Wetcoat. Its a water repellent.....spray it on a wet, clean car and then rinse off straightaway with the powerwasher. I might use this as an alternative to QD spray depending on longevity. We'll see. Water sheets straight off though :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just took this description off an external website, sounds worth trying to me!!

Costs £11 per 500ml - not sure how many applications it will give, maybe @donnaj1dlh can give a better idea. Does it give a nice shine too or would you suggest also using a QD?

GYEON Q2M WETCOAT is a spray-on, rinse-off, silica-based sealant designed to be applied after hand washing, i.e. between the final rinse and drying off. As a direct result of being treated with GYEON Q2M WETCOAT, exterior surfaces become more radiant looking and extremely hydrophobic. The latter effect is the most pronounced, not only in terms of the sudden dramatic improvement in water beading it causes, but also it terms of the self-cleaning properties it imparts (by actively repelling rain and road spray more dirt and grime is carried away instead of being allowed to accumulate in situ). Consequently, GYEON Q2M WETCOAT makes routine maintenance quicker and easier, as the interval between washes can be comfortably extended, and the need for quick detailing is eliminated. These benefits apply all year round, but are particularly welcome during the winter months, when washing becomes more of a chore. Durability is up to three months, or twelve normal wash cycles if you clean your car more frequently than once a week.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts