Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I just joined and have a Mini Cooper 2014 sport pepper white, I tried to replace the brake pads which went fairly well until I realized I needed a special tool to decompress the calipers, got went ok but now, I'm quite sure I damaged the jacking points because every time I turn, move, park, do anything after starting it, it sounds like it's going to fall apart so much noise I just feel like crap now that my Mini prior was so much fun to drive but now it's like I don't want it anymore. If someone knows what might be going on with it, please please let me know and what I should do now to get back that excitement of driving my Mini.
Thank you,
Robert Marsh

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where did you jack it up from? Lifting the car shouldn’t cause it to start making noises.
I put the mini floor jack first before the passenger side jacking point, half way iup I realized I wsas not in the right spot so I lowered it and put the end of the jack which is round right below the jacking point and lifted it I could hear what sounded like cracking of plastic but it was already up and I completed replacing the brake pads, one the drivers side i used a piece of wood and jacked it up completed the brake pad replacement, that side doesn't makre any noise but the passenger side sounds like i have maybe some frame damage or the whole entire molding is making these noises I don't know what I did but I definitely did damage somewhere

·
Super Moderator
7,874 Posts
They're plastic blocks and can be broken but just pop your head under to see. I'd doubt they'd makes any noise even if broken. Did you get the pads in right and everything done properly. Does the wheel rotate without noise? For future but a trolley Jack and the blocks on eBay for a fiver that fit the Jack points.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I hope nothing is damaged.

It would help if you could show us pictures of where you lifted the vehicle. Like jeremy noted, raise the vehicle from the plastic jack points (small blackhard plastic point snapped-into the frame), which are about the size of a matchbox, and turn the wheel. You may have to put that car in neutral and chock the rear wheels.

Use a very hard block of wood between the jack and the lift point, otherwise you risk deforming the anchor point and breaking it with the jack.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I reckon it's more likely something is not right on the corners you worked on especially if there is a lot of noise at low speeds. As Jeremy said, jack it up again and spin the wheels to check for noise or rough action. Also check that all the suspension and steering connections are secure and haven't been dislodged. And check the remote possibility that one of the pads is in wrong

1 - 6 of 6 Posts