Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just ordered a Vauxhall astra diesel estate for the dog (no way the bitch is getting in the mini) and the salesman started banging on about diesel particular filters. Never heard of them before but got me thinking as the mini will have one. Anyone know if the mini has an active or passive one? And reading the top 5 tips for caring for the dpf number 1 is drive faster, so if anyone looking for an excuse to put the foot down.....,.

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
Hee hee; dpf's regenerate at certain times after so much runnign; so apparently you need a good run ie over 20mins at a good constant speed ie an italian tune up on a motorway comes to mind. That's why we bought petrol for the dog; Dacia Duster! Glad we did given the state of it's upholstery!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hee hee; dpf's regenerate at certain times after so much runnign; so apparently you need a good run ie over 20mins at a good constant speed ie an italian tune up on a motorway comes to mind. That's why we bought petrol for the dog; Dacia Duster! Glad we did given the state of it's upholstery!
Yeah, my German Shepherd decided she wanted to eat my leather seats. Luckily it was boot side so not so bad. Just taped it up at the weekend there with black electrical tape in the hope that the garage won't pay attention tomorrow when I trade it in for the Astra.

Cheers

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had an SD Countryman before my F55 and I could never really tell when the DPF was regenerating. As far as I understand they are all active and passive. What I mean by that is that they will be passive (work when the exhaust Temps reach a certain limit) and active( the car forces the engine Temps to rise by different ways, i.e increase fuel, to force the DPF to regen) when the car detects a certain difference between the exhaust pressure before the DPF and that after.

The only time I knew for certain my Countryman had been doing something was if you stopped the car the fan ran on for a while to cool the engine as it runs at a higher temp during active regens.

I did read an article somewhere saying that on the F55 and F56, the DPF was placed closer to the engine and also more insulated, meaning that it's gets to temp quicker and stays there longer so that the regens work better.

Hope that helps, I did look into DPF's a lot before getting my Countryman. I think that on the whole the BMW engines seem to have less issues than other makes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.