Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
2020 JCW - Silver White - Auto
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Does anyone know what the differences are between Sport and Mid mode using the sport mode button on the centre console?

The throttle seems to sharpen up abit in Sport, but I haven鈥檛 been able to find a definitive list of what鈥檚 different?

Does anyone know? 馃槑

Registered
Throttle response will be sharper and the steering should be heavier. If you have the dynamic suspension (DDC), then it will also stiffen that up...assuming it hasn鈥檛 been disabled in the settings.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I don鈥檛 have DDC so just the throttle and steering then?

Does it hold onto a gear longer in Sport too?

Registered
You also get the active sound component a bit more in Sport mode.

If you have the auto gearbox, you will need to put that in sport mode if you want it to hang on to the gears longer. Just move it to the left :)

Registered
Oops...sorry......forgot about the ASD. :)

In my defence...I normally have the window open so the ASD鈥檚 drowned out by the exhaust. :D

Registered
Cooper S Works 210
As you get more pops and bangs in sport mode surely there must be some changes to the fueling as well? with my pro exhaust flap open in sport i get 3 pops in a row each time i let off the gas (as though 3 drops of unburnt fuel is added to the exhaust - how it seems anyway).

Registered
Cooper S Works 210
Oops...sorry......forgot about the ASD. :)

In my defence...I normally have the window open so the ASD鈥檚 drowned out by the exhaust. :D
I disabled mine with Bimmercode so i can now hear the exhaust when i want or have a quieter drive if i take it steady :)

Registered
As you get more pops and bangs in sport mode surely there must be some changes to the fueling as well? with my pro exhaust flap open in sport i get 3 pops in a row each time i let off the gas (as though 3 drops of unburnt fuel is added to the exhaust - how it seems anyway).
I always figured it was, at least partly, due to the sharper throttle response in sport.

Registered
The Sport Mini Driving Mode will change this:
1. Steering gets heavier.
2. Turbo BOV gets louder.
3. The exhaust pops when you suddenly release the accelerator. Some say this varies, depending on the speed you're going. And if you have a car with GPF then it's supossed not to pop at all (non-GPF models also give you bangs/cracks when upshifting under heavy accel., regardless of the Mini Driving Mode).
4. ASD is louder.
5. Auto transmission will upshift later in the RPMs. And shifts are slightly faster too.
6. Throttle is more agressive.
7. If you have auto dampers they change to the stiffer setting (but you say you don't have those).

If you also activate the transmission's M/S program while in the Sport driving mode, you get an even better transmission program (faster gear shifts than with the Sport mode alone, smoother performance from the torque-converter-lock...).

Not sure if you should be using the Sport or M/S modes already... what about engine break-in period?

Registered
I have a problem because I have used sport and sports transmission already in my first few hundred miles...
2020 Mini Cooper S auto here with no pops and bangs but maybe once it鈥檚 run in a bit more then I might hear something.

Registered
Well, the guys have described everything above.
I'd also like to mention that also in Sport mode your minimal revs will go up to ~2K as opposed to ~1-1.2K in Mid when cruising, which helps pick up some speed whenever you need it. Also, your torque converter lock will become more aggressive, you'll feel that when going off a traffic light.
And IMHO pops and bangs don't really depend on mid\sport settings, they depend on your RPMs but sport get your RPM higher so.... you get pops. I mean, you can get pops all right even in mid.

To summarize all of the above
  • More agressive and "early" throttle (which in turn results in later upshifts and holding RPMs longer as well as more prone to pops and bangs)
  • Heavier steering
  • Stiffer suspension if you have DDC
  • More agressive torque converter lock
Bonus:
- ASD sound ON

Also, be aware of the break-in period, mate.

Registered
I have a problem because I have used sport and sports transmission already in my first few hundred miles...
2020 Mini Cooper S auto here with no pops and bangs but maybe once it鈥檚 run in a bit more then I might hear something.
I think you have an LCI model, possibly with the GPF... and if you do have the GPF then I think that you won't get bangs/pops :unsure: At least that's what I've heard/read. Hope I'm wrong because the bangs/pop do add a lot of fun.

Registered
I think you have an LCI model, possibly with the GPF... and if you do have the GPF then I think that you won't get bangs/pops :unsure: At least that's what I've heard/read. Hope I'm wrong because the bangs/pop do add a lot of fun.
Thank you for confirming - I think so too :(
What does GPF stand for? (Sorry I am not too savvy with car acronyms!)

Registered
As i mentioned earlier, IMO pops and bangs come from driving hard above certain RPMs, not because you switch driving modes (unless the cars with GPF have it turned off completely). Though one thing definitely helps another.
Once your break-in period is over, try driving harder to see if you get pops and bangs. Switching everything into sports mode helps of course.

It's a Gasoline Particulate Filter, a thing made to reduce amount of ultrafine particles our engines throw into the atmosphere.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, some really helpful content in here! I鈥檝e been driving 鈥榝airly鈥 steady. What鈥檚 the official break in miles? 馃槀

Reactions: JB17

Super Moderator
Our Clubby has a valve in one of the exhausts which I am sure is affected ie opened in sport mode. As above 1200km or 1000 miles and it's ready to go-I steadily opened it up.

Reactions: vicvo

Registered
Cooper S Works 210
As i mentioned earlier, IMO pops and bangs come from driving hard above certain RPMs, not because you switch driving modes
I get the loud pops and bangs in Sport mode at 3000rpm when i lift off the gas, even if i feather it it happens. If i'm in Mid then i get a slight fart noise - both of these are with flap open on pro exhaust, with flap closed there isn't much difference between the 2

Registered
when i lift off the gas, even if i feather it it happens
You definitely do.
Because your gas pedal response curve becomes more aggressive in Sport mode and 15% of travel equals (roughly speaking) 40% of travel in Mid mode.
But in my opinion just switching the drive modes itself does not enable some "pop and bang" mapping. I can get pops and bangs in both modes if i drive it hard enough. It's just i have to be a lot heavier on the pedal in Mid.

Registered
Thank you for confirming - I think so too :(
No problem!

Yes, as LL said, GPF = Gasoline Particle Filter

There's a video on youtube about a guy with a 1 series whom deleted the GPF in his car to get the bangs/pops. He chronicles the whole even. His car had to be remapped (although I think I read a post where someone managed to avoid the remap, can't remember where, sorry).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts