Mini Cooper Forum banner

Difference between Sport and Mid mode

23K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  JB17 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Does anyone know what the differences are between Sport and Mid mode using the sport mode button on the centre console?

The throttle seems to sharpen up abit in Sport, but I haven’t been able to find a definitive list of what’s different?

Does anyone know? 😎

#6 ·
As you get more pops and bangs in sport mode surely there must be some changes to the fueling as well? with my pro exhaust flap open in sport i get 3 pops in a row each time i let off the gas (as though 3 drops of unburnt fuel is added to the exhaust - how it seems anyway).

#14 · (Edited)
2020 Mini Cooper S auto here with no pops and bangs but maybe once it’s run in a bit more then I might hear something.
As i mentioned earlier, IMO pops and bangs come from driving hard above certain RPMs, not because you switch driving modes (unless the cars with GPF have it turned off completely). Though one thing definitely helps another.
Once your break-in period is over, try driving harder to see if you get pops and bangs. Switching everything into sports mode helps of course.

What does GPF stand for? (Sorry I am not too savvy with car acronyms!)
It's a Gasoline Particulate Filter, a thing made to reduce amount of ultrafine particles our engines throw into the atmosphere.

#11 ·
Well, the guys have described everything above.
I'd also like to mention that also in Sport mode your minimal revs will go up to ~2K as opposed to ~1-1.2K in Mid when cruising, which helps pick up some speed whenever you need it. Also, your torque converter lock will become more aggressive, you'll feel that when going off a traffic light.
And IMHO pops and bangs don't really depend on mid\sport settings, they depend on your RPMs but sport get your RPM higher so.... you get pops. I mean, you can get pops all right even in mid.

To summarize all of the above
  • More agressive and "early" throttle (which in turn results in later upshifts and holding RPMs longer as well as more prone to pops and bangs)
  • Heavier steering
  • Stiffer suspension if you have DDC
  • More agressive torque converter lock
Bonus:
- ASD sound ON

Also, be aware of the break-in period, mate.

#15 ·
Thanks guys, some really helpful content in here! I’ve been driving ‘fairly’ steady. What’s the official break in miles? 😂

Reactions: JB17
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.