Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys,

I noticed my mini comes with only the mini basic HU with GPS instead of 609 professional Navi system.

how about your cars?

·
Registered
441 Posts
When you say HU do you mean "Head Unit" i.e. the central LCD display, or "Heads Up" as in the flip screen above the dials?

If you are talking central display, I also have the smaller 6.5" screen with extened bluetooth and the basic navigation (not the XL pack).

The differences that I can tell are (the XL has over the non XL:)

1. Handwriting recognition
2. Ability to play movie files
3. Split screen (map on one side, music list on the other)
4. Larger LCD (8.8" vs 6.5")
5. Connected XL (whch has more features)

I don't think there are any other advantages

I did not know that when you buy Chili, the Media XL drops by about £500. Had I known this I would have gone for it, as that price drop makes Media XL only about £200 more than extended BT+basic Nav.

However, 6.5" is big enough for me, who needs those extra 2.3!

·
Registered
441 Posts
^ That's what she said
or he in my case, being one of those "men who like men" you hear about :laugh:

on a serious note though I do worry that when I come to Part Ex it, it will be worth more than £200 less because of lack of XL - I'd be interested to see what the financial implications are when it comes to it, but I will be definitely speccing media XL on my next mini. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey, I don't judge :laugh:

But on topic, it seems that Mini's do well in the used market with plenty of extras, I guess one of the reasons I added quite a lot to mine, the GFV increased quite well alongside the OTR price.

Didn't make signing the order form any less daunting though!

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
Mmm I specced the larger screen with media xl, thinking I had to have that to get the head up display which I just love; everyone says that you never reap the cost of these extras back however on px so I just bought what I wanted/could afford!
I haven't worked out any handwriting recognition yet although you can stroke the idrive top to move thigns-please don't refer to size in any of this!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think you also get more options for the nav with XL such as fuel saving route and more colour options. I can select between two colour schemes and auto day/night or always day or always night mode, but that's about it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
For me I ordered the MCS spec'd purely for the driving pleasure and enjoyment of the mini feel, look and brand. I was fortunate to be able to add all the bells and whistles and look forward it being released from the New Jersey Jail since Aug 1.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Profiteroles I tried changing my map colours a while ago and it seemed to have no effect... my maps are kind of blue and grey. Is the other colour scheme obviously different? I should try again...

Another feature of navigation XL is the 3D view.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Profiteroles I tried changing my map colours a while ago and it seemed to have no effect... my maps are kind of blue and grey. Is the other colour scheme obviously different? I should try again...

Must say, the 3D view is really impressive. I'm based in London and it has every building in surprising amount of detail. Very nice touch

·
Registered
441 Posts

I think it changes the road colours to orange for motorway rather than blue, the sky and land remain blue and grey :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts