Mini Cooper Forum banner

different hardware or software needed to get features on screen?

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Desert Rat 
#1 ·
I have a 2015 F56.
I thought my infotainment system would be the same since it is the same year but it isn't. For example, in this video at 5:49 minutes, where he has access to text messages from his phone on the screen but I don't have the "messages" option on mine. (I also don't have the "Office" option on main menu or "Navigation")

Is there a different version of software I can update to get this functionality or is it a hardware issue?

I updated the bluetooth version from:

Old______________ New
Media
MV-130.016.001 MV-130.025.041

Phone
TV-130.016.001 TV-130.025.041

ADD-ON.
N/A. HV-130.025.041

Still no messages.

Can anyone tell me if I should be able to have text messages on my Mini's screen
also there doesn't seem to be any electronic connection in the armrest. I removed the four screws to see if there was at least a wire below but there is no sign of any wire/connector/harness to connect to even if the armrest had the tray/connector

Thanks for any help!

See less See more
#2 ·
The arm rest snap in connector did not come with the car, it was purchased separately and the plug for the connector in the arm rest was only available based on your spec, not all cars had it. I don’t know that text messages have ever been displayed on screen. All of my F series MINIs have only read them messages.
If my memory is correct US MINIs in 2015 you could spec Visual Boost + Connected, Bluetooth, Enhanced Bluetooth, or Nav which was the highest spec. Visual Boost + connected with Enhanced Bluetooth got you the arm rest charger connection but not the charger, the arm rest charger was another $200.00

#3 ·
.... I don’t know that text messages have ever been displayed on screen. All of my F series MINIs have only read them messages.
Thanks!
If you look at that video I posted, at the 5:49 minute mark you will see the phone text messages he has on his 2015.

If my memory is correct US MINIs in 2015 you could spec Visual Boost + Connected, Bluetooth, Enhanced Bluetooth, or Nav which was the highest spec. Visual Boost + connected with Enhanced Bluetooth got you the arm rest charger connection but not the charger, the arm rest charger was another $200.00
I have, on the original window sticker that came on my 2015:
"MINI Visual Boost - $500"
"MINI Connected - Included"

So I guess the missing 'Enhanced' part is needed to get the features that are in that video. But I wonder is that a hardware or software upgrade?

for armrest it is just "Center Armrest - $250" So I guess that is out of the question, especially considering the cost!

#4 ·
Maybe in 2015 with NAV it would display texts, my 2015 with Visual Boost / enhanced Bluetooth did not.
Since you do not have enhanced Bluetooth your Bluetooth functionally is limited. To get the Enhanced Bluetooth, remembering back, I believe the head unit would need to be replaced, back in 2015 it was not a straight swap as the head units were coded to the VIN. I don’t know if that is the case now but I know a head unit ran about $3,000.00.
Personally I can’t imagine why anyone would want to read text messages while driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.