Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
My order of a VCO MCS has been shifted forward to delivery next week. I have the option then of registering it and driving it away then,or waiting until September for the 64 plate.

Usually it would be an easy call, wait the two weeks, however with a limited timeframe and lots of hassle (7 hour drive home from Portsmouth to collect) if I were to wait, it makes me question what to do.

I'm also on summer leave at the minute so picking it up next week would give me a couple of weeks to enjoy it!

Just curious as to what you guys would do?

Also,
would the car as a 14 plate take an immediate value drop come the 64 two weeks later?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes I'd say definitely wait. I am. Not just the financial implications of having an older reg, but imagine the heart sinking feeling you'd have in your 14, when two weeks in you see your first VO 64 plate driving round.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I'd say definitely wait. I am. Not just the financial implications of having an older reg, but imagine the heart sinking feeling you'd have in your 14, when two weeks in you see your first VO 64 plate driving round.
It would be a killer knowing it's in the dealership 2 miles from me and that I'd have to wait and do lots of driving (700 mile round trip) in my current car to get at it hah.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wait you will only regret it picking it up early, I am sure you can hold off till September.
You're right, but it's trying to figure out whether the hassle of doing a 700 mile round trip to collect it would be worth it. I've explored getting it delivered to Portsmouth, but that's a no go.

My current car is also getting swapped with my sisters for a part ex, which would be much easier to organise in this 3 weeks summer holiday I have rather than a 48 hr period in September.

To add to that, I'd arrive back to the dealer on the Saturday (I'd miss the opening hours on arrival home Friday), it takes 24-48 hours to release the car once paperwork has been signed - I need to be back in Portsmouth at 7am on Monday (after leaving home 2pm ish on the Friday), there's a sense of uncertainty that I could make that as the car could possibly not be released until the Monday.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You're right, but it's trying to figure out whether the hassle of doing a 700 mile round trip to collect it would be worth it. I've explored getting it delivered to Portsmouth, but that's a no go.

My current car is also getting swapped with my sisters for a part ex, which would be much easier to organise in this 3 weeks summer holiday I have rather than a 48 hr period in September.

To add to that, I'd arrive back to the dealer on the Saturday (I'd miss the opening hours on arrival home Friday), it takes 24-48 hours to release the car once paperwork has been signed - I need to be back in Portsmouth at 7am on Monday (after leaving home 2pm ish on the Friday), there's a sense of uncertainty that I could make that as the car could possibly not be released until the Monday.
Why 24-48 to release the car after paperwork signed, when I got my new car dealer rang me up signed paperwork and drove out an hour later.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Regarding the drop in value for it being on an older plate, one thing to consider is how long you'll be keeping the car. I've had my current Mini for almost 10 years so I don't expect the fact it is on a 54 plate rather than an 04 made much difference to what i've been offered for it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi all
My order of a VCO MCS has been shifted forward to delivery next week. I have the option then of registering it and driving it away then,or waiting until September for the 64 plate.

Usually it would be an easy call, wait the two weeks, however with a limited timeframe and lots of hassle (7 hour drive home from Portsmouth to collect) if I were to wait, it makes me question what to do.

I'm also on summer leave at the minute so picking it up next week would give me a couple of weeks to enjoy it!

Just curious as to what you guys would do?

Also,
would the car as a 14 plate take an immediate value drop come the 64 two weeks later?
I'm in the same situation as you, my MC is sitting at the garage and I'm opting for a 1st September 64 plate.--- Why, well it takes time for the garage to register the car now that all the DVLA offices have closed and secondly the garage has to prepare the vehicle plus you might as well have 6 months swanning around with the latest plate>:D

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'd collect the car now... while you can do it calmly and carefully without being rushed.

How long will you keep the car? Maybe by the time you want to sell it the difference between 14 and 64 plates will be tiny. It's not like the car will actually be any newer... people can look up the build date if they want to and then haggle the price down.

Just another view...

·
Registered
114 Posts
My mcs was delivered to the garage today and had the chance of getting the keys at the weekend but I've opted for the new 64 plate so now waiting another 4 weeks. I was also expecting the car in September anyway so isn't too bad knowing its at the garage waiting for me lol. But like other people have said it depends how long you will keep the car. I'm realistically only going to keep mine for 2 years tops so a change in plate may affect the part ex price in that short period hence me waiting for the new plate..

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm in the same situation as you, my MC is sitting at the garage and I'm opting for a 1st September 64 plate.--- Why, well it takes time for the garage to register the car now that all the DVLA offices have closed and secondly the garage has to prepare the vehicle plus you might as well have 6 months swanning around with the latest plate>:D

Ahh I see.

I think I'll stick with the 14 plate, I'd hate to be driving down to Portsmouth at the end of the month in a corsa knowing I've got one week of work between me and the MCS haha.

Really looking forward to it, its moved forward from 2nd week of September to the 13th of this month!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And I plan on keeping this car for a few years since I've spent so much on it. Good to know they keep their value well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts