Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wwandering about the interweb and I came across www.dipyourcar.com and found the closest distributor/painter for my car. has anyone here done a whole car dip in the past? If so what did you think of the quality? I'm thinking about dipping it a satin white, with a bit more blue pearl involved. I'd like to hear some thoughts on this.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I fell upon this too, it must be tending on YouTube at the moment, a great use of modern paint tech. I've only ever had a car wrapped in 3m venture shield so not sure about dipping. The removal looks easy but I'd be concerned about care, durability and stone chips that may ruin the lovely pearl white finish, they only quote 2-4 years life which would have to be considered against the cost!

I'll be interested to hear if you go for it though
:)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I fell upon this too, it must be tending on YouTube at the moment, a great use of modern paint tech. I've only ever had a car wrapped in 3m venture shield so not sure about dipping. The removal looks easy but I'd be concerned about care, durability and stone chips that may ruin the lovely pearl white finish, they only quote 2-4 years life which would have to be considered against the cost!

I'll be interested to hear if you go for it though
:)
I am seriously considering it. I got a quote from a supplier in Switzerland and it wasn't too bad. The SO is going to get something like this

and its right around $650 USD for the materials.

I'm considering something along the lines of this

and it's going to cost me roughly $950 USD for the materials. I'm also considering going with Carbon wrapped roof and side mirrors (the 3M dinoc stuff).

So all in all it's not a bad cost, considering I detail my car every few weeks or so, as I like to take care of my paint.
I may consider getting a clear UV protectant vinyl on top to help mitigate the effects of the sun on the dip paint.

Reactions: Moovrr

·
Registered
769 Posts
Last year there was a guy on North American Motoring that dipped his F56. It didn't look to bad, I wasn't a fan of the colors he went with, but to each their own. Do a search for it, I think he showed most of the steps.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last year there was a guy on North American Motoring that dipped his F56. It didn't look to bad, I wasn't a fan of the colors he went with, but to each their own. Do a search for it, I think he showed most of the steps.
I will take a look at it.

For the record, I will be utilizing a body shop for the spray work, and the compound is called Autoflex. It's made by PlastiDip, but it is a professional grade material that is made for body shops. It is a higher quality version that is more like vinyl than rubber, and therefore more expensive.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have dipped cars in the past and I will tell you that if there is enough coats the stuff is very durable. I would recommend using a plastic or vinyl product to help keep it looking good and it will easily last you beyond three years. I had the roof of my GTI dipped black by myself for 4 years and it was finally starting to show signs of sun damage. I had the roof, mirrors, door handles, and wheels dipped at the time. The good thing was any chips that would have occurred were done to the dip and not the paint. Fixing the dip is easy enough and any shop should be able to touch up damaged areas. I also have used it to help protect rims during storage or winter and the clear dip to help protect body panels on a really long trip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.