Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok again me being me I've not searched this and presumed you had to code this yourself but since yesterday when I picked my car up from Williams in Stockport which they've told me they fixed the mirror but needs a new steering column?! A two month old car needs a new steering column, still can't get over that... :eek:

Anyway back to the point, my mirror has suddenly started dipping when I go in reverse! It didn't happen prior to its visit to Williams so was there an update? Or was it always supposed to do this but clearly my mirror was broke?

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I bought my mini I was annoyed that it didn't dip when I put it reverse, didn't want to scuff the rims. It took me two months to stumble on it from playing with the switches, felt like Christmas!

Regarding the replaced steering column, I think there is a bigger history to that.

Here's what I think and know. All my old cars were BMW, the last one was a 335i. It was a great car and the build quality I have to say was much better, there's a few nasty plastics in the mini but I still love it. Anyway, every car had a steering lock problem where a red padlock would appear in the dash board. This could be reset by the dealer but after the car warranty expired they wanted £70. After being reset six times, BMW insist that the steering column had to be replaced at the cost of £1000+ plus labour. I managed to continue resetting mine using a OBD cable and software on a laptop. The steering column has a small motor on it that turns a plastic locking arm, you can hear it when you turn the engine off on your mini. It's this that breaks, a tiny piece of plastic that cannot be replaced unless you buy the whole steering column. The mechanism is similar to electric seats, which also break a lot. Therefore if the steering column on the mini is anything like my old BMW's, I would imagine in the near future that mini's 2014 onwards will start having a similar problem. It is a well documented problem on BMW forums. One independent BMW machanic told me to try and always park with your wheels straight and steering wheel in the centre position to avoid any unnecessary strain on the lock. If you didn't follow this advice you could hear the lock struggle so I think there was some merit in what he said. Suffice to say I follow the same advice on my mini. Food for thought!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I bought my mini I was annoyed that it didn't dip when I put it reverse, didn't want to scuff the rims. It took me two months to stumble on it from playing with the switches, felt like Christmas!

Regarding the replaced steering column, I think there is a bigger history to that.

Here's what I think and know. All my old cars were BMW, the last one was a 335i. It was a great car and the build quality I have to say was much better, there's a few nasty plastics in the mini but I still love it. Anyway, every car had a steering lock problem where a red padlock would appear in the dash board. This could be reset by the dealer but after the car warranty expired they wanted £70. After being reset six times, BMW insist that the steering column had to be replaced at the cost of £1000+ plus labour. I managed to continue resetting mine using a OBD cable and software on a laptop. The steering column has a small motor on it that turns a plastic locking arm, you can hear it when you turn the engine off on your mini. It's this that breaks, a tiny piece of plastic that cannot be replaced unless you buy the whole steering column. The mechanism is similar to electric seats, which also break a lot. Therefore if the steering column on the mini is anything like my old BMW's, I would imagine in the near future that mini's 2014 onwards will start having a similar problem. It is a well documented problem on BMW forums. One independent BMW machanic told me to try and always park with your wheels straight and steering wheel in the centre position to avoid any unnecessary strain on the lock. If you didn't follow this advice you could hear the lock struggle so I think there was some merit in what he said. Suffice to say I follow the same advice on my mini. Food for thought!

I always thought that was a myth but I'll definitely ensure to park with my wheels straight after its replaced... Although can't see it breaking after a handful of times being parked turned since being built in December! :eek:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I always thought that was a myth but I'll definitely ensure to park with my wheels straight after its replaced... Although can't see it breaking after a handful of times being parked turned since being built in December! :eek:

It's not about when it was built but how it was built. The problem starts occurring from wear and tear, how many times the car is turned off and on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's not about when it was built but how it was built. The problem starts occurring from wear and tear, how many times the car is turned off and on.

Take a look at the link of the BMW DIY, scroll to the bottom to see the mechanism. Then take a look at the the steering column links and note how similar the two columns are. I do believe we will start seeing this problem in the near future.

I had to break this message up to post the links for some reason.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Take a look at the link of the BMW DIY, scroll to the bottom to see the mechanism. Then take a look at the the steering column links and note how similar the two columns are. I do believe we will start seeing this problem in the near future.

I had to break this message up to post the links for some reason.

Apparently I need to do five posts before I can enclose links and images. This is the 5th so please bare with me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Apparently I need to do five posts before I can enclose links and images. This is the 5th so please bare with me.

OK take a look at these links and it will explain everything I've been going on about!

THE MECHANISM
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483387

THE BMW STEERING COLUMN
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=8A71-EUR-09-2014-F30N-BMW-330i&diagId=32_2076

THE MINI STEERING COLUMN
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=XM72-EUR-01-2014-F56-Mini-Cooper_S&diagId=32_2338

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you move the little slider switch on the drivers door (near the mirror adjustment) to the other position it will stop dipping!
You have just made my car better in one sentence. Mostly I love the features, but this one was really bothering me. I almost never parallel park! Being able to shut it off is great, but being able to switch it on any time I want is fantastic!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.