Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small problem within my speedometer. I have a small diseased insect which has decided to make his final resting place within my speedometer. It's been there since I got the car and at this point I'm fed up having to look at him every day.

Does anybody have any experience with disassembly of the instrument cluster so I can remove and eventually exhume the diseased' body??

I would like to simply bring out my Phillips screwdrivers and go to work but I would rather not mess up my ride so figured I'd ask:þ

·
Registered
63 Posts
that's crazy! i can understand maybe some dust getting in there, but a bug? guess he somehow found a way in there, but then got trapped. rip.

the tachometer cluster is really easy to remove (just 2 torx screws) and then unplugging the wiring plug. a lot of people (including me) have done this to install the cravenspeed phone mount. i'm sure once it's off, you may be able to pry it open, but not entirely sure. plus it is scary, as i'm sure you do not want to damage it in any way.

the initial steps here show how to remove the cluster:

good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Once you have removed the instrument cluster from the vehicle, it is actually reasonably straight forward to pull apart. Just be careful with any wiring connections, and when cleaning the clear Perspex only use a clean Microfibre Cloth (and maybe warm water) as the Perspex scratches very easily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply!
I managed to remove the cluster and after having removed the screws etc I chickened out!
Seems like I need to remove the motherboard to be able to actually pull the whole thing apart. I will try again at a later date(!)
I genuinely want to see what kind of insect is in there. Looks almost fossilized at this point

Best regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts