Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my F56 MCS has 17” runflats currently fitted. Love the car, but probably the only negative is the very harsh ride. I assumed this was just due to the suspension setup of Minis. However last week when taking my car for a service, I drove a courtesy MCS from the dealership with 17” non runflats. The difference was incredible - a much smoother and quieter ride.

I’m now looking at ditching the runflats and going with some non runflats. Any tyre recommendations would be very helpful, also if anyone has had a MCS delivered, what Non runflat tyres are Mini fitting as standard?

I’m guessing there will be no issues with the TPMS going from runflats to non runflats?

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
818 Posts
A lot of owners fit Michelin Pilot Sport 4 non runflats.
I've seen pics of the new GP3 and that came with Hankooks
TPMS is fine with non runflat tyres as it doesn't know the difference, it just measures the air pressure

·
Registered
99 Posts
Swapped my runflats recently for Michelin PS4s (215/40/18) on my JCW. Love it. TPMS is fine, everything just works. Beautiful upgrade. Do it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I run Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 225/35 R19 Y (88)on my Clubby less crashy over bumps than the run flats and slightly quieter. No problem keeping the TPMS when I swapped over.

·
Super Moderator
6,831 Posts
Tpms will work regardless. Cannot afford to ditch my runflats but as soon as they are worn out they are gone and never shall a runcrap ruin my car again!!!

Reactions: pilotwoo and JB17

·
Registered
146 Posts
Everyone seems to hate run flats, but I think they're actually better for performance. The solid sidewall means that it will:

1. Deform less under hard cornering. You know, in a corner, the tread is sticking to the road, but the rim is trying to go to the opposite direction, thus flexing the tire's sidewall (the rim is actually not aligned with the tread, even if for a brief moment). With a run flat you get less sidewall flexing, which means better road feedback and better response/handling.

2. When accelerating, again, the solid sidewall means that the rim will deform the tire less when transmitting the acc. force. I think that's one of the reason why they overinflate tires for drag races (less friction from over-inflation is the other reason?).

3. The same for braking (less sidewall flex means better force transmission).

:unsure:

Or what do others think??

I still think Minis are harsh because of the suspension, do you know if the MCS you drove with non-run flats had the same tire pressure than your Mini?

·
Super Moderator
6,831 Posts
Not 100% convinced. The excessive stiffness means a lack of compliance and possibly less grip but no idea really and see where you coming from.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Jeremy is right on the money.

Runflats are significantly less compliant and therefore adhere to imperfections in road surface to a much lower degree. Much in the same way as a car with no suspension gets air over nearly every bump. (Anyone who has driven a GP kart on a street circuit knows this all too well!)

Runflats are probably fine on a grocery-getter but on a performance car they are truly terrible.

To be clear, runflats are not better for performance, they are several orders of magnitude worse.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi, my F56 MCS has 17” runflats currently fitted. Love the car, but probably the only negative is the very harsh ride. I assumed this was just due to the suspension setup of Minis. However last week when taking my car for a service, I drove a courtesy MCS from the dealership with 17” non runflats. The difference was incredible - a much smoother and quieter ride.

I’m now looking at ditching the runflats and going with some non runflats. Any tyre recommendations would be very helpful, also if anyone has had a MCS delivered, what Non runflat tyres are Mini fitting as standard?

I’m guessing there will be no issues with the TPMS going from runflats to non runflats?
PS4 again here, transforms the car so much it even drives straight now :)

·
Registered
4 Posts

asked my dealer. if u get a flat your sos and emerg car assist may not be covered. that’s the issue. u may have to cover out of pocket in case of flat or tire issue

·
Super Moderator
6,831 Posts
In the UK cars come with and without runflats so they'd probably never know. But it's onlyy1 and I think 2 anyway.Or is it 3?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I’m not sure in the rest of the U.K. but when we vacationed over in Glasgow
year before last I rented a car and we drove up to Loch Lomond and I noticed the roads were in pretty decent shape. Driving a RHD on the left of the road was interesting. Roundabouts are so much better than stop lights!

Over here in the US the roads can really suck depending on how old they are and where they are at. In Texas our temperatures do go to the extremes where it could be 100 degrees F in the summer
down to below freezing in the winter. We have several roads that have potholes and cracks.

You don’t see a lot of vehicles with run flats on them here.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I’m not sure in the rest of the U.K. but when we vacationed over in Glasgow
year before last I rented a car and we drove up to Loch Lomond and I noticed the roads were in pretty decent shape.
I've lived in a few different areas of the UK and during the course of the 28 years I have been driving these roads I have seen the standard of road maintenance in England steadily decline. Potholes aplenty and generally poor surfaces. Before we left the EU, English roads were the shame of Europe.

I find the quality of most of the major routes in Scotland excellent, perticularly considering the climate they are exposed to.

TexasMini said:
Roundabouts are so much better than stop lights!
Roundabouts are the reason God created Minis.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts