Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a nice conversation with my Salesperson when I had my Mini serviced last week and of course we talked about sales numbers. He told me that F55 Sales went from very good to flat for the last 2 months. The Clubby takes a big bite out of F55 Sales and Mini offers great deals on the 55 just to move the car. So do you think the 55 is here to stay?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I don't think the F55 ever really had a chance.. It's a bit of a weird shape, although saying that they have grown on me... I've seen a few that look quite nice, but from the B-pillar back it just looks wrong from the side.

Plus the Clubman bridges the gap between the F56 and a more practical car, e.g. the Golf. The F55 gains all of millimetres in space?

I think come either facelift or next gen (G56) that it will cease production.

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
No offence to any F55 owners but I have never been a fan.

Saying that around the Surrey/Hampshire borders there are a lot about a very lot!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've got an F55 and I do not like the Clubman.

Different strokes, different folks.

·
Registered
247 Posts

Different strokes, different folks.
Yeah I agree. I like that the F55 drives like the F56 but I can fit my surfboard in, and I can fit my bike in (with one wheel off). With my old Mini I had to take both wheels off my bike (taking the rear wheel off is a bit messy) or tilt the passenger seat forward like the passenger was ready to exit the car which was just annoying, and I had to put my surfboard on the roof. A little extra length is nice.

If there were no F55 I would have definitely gotten the F56 and not the Clubman, and just put up with those annoyances but that's just me. Different strokes...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had an F56 S for a year before I had my F55 S three months ago and driving wise I can't find any difference.

Space and practicality the F55 is far better, the small gain in boot space is useful and having 4 doors makes it easier to get bags / coats onto the back seats.

I agree that the styling has lost the " pure " mini lines but it's slowly growing on me, I initially called it pug ugly.

Acoustically the F55 is far superior to the F56. The noise of complaints from my other half have reduced by at least 50% !!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I pick up my F55 next week. My dog would have never forgiven me if I bought a car whose back windows don't open.

While I don't love the look of the rear quarter, I like it infinitely more than the overall styling of the Clubman.

·
Super Moderator
6,827 Posts
I think the f55 a great compromise for people who don't need a huge expensive car but do need five doors. If i needed 5 doors I would have one without t hesitation. It still feels like a mini to drive ie like an f56 whereas the clubby just doesnt,it moves up a class. (Still lovely but somehow classier bigger more refined and grown up ..less terrier more labradour,ie calm and glamorous!From here in rural lincs i would think from what i see on the road it (f55)could well be outselling any other mini!

·
Registered
35 Posts
With the right choices (just like the f56), the f55 looks quiet nice. Regarding driving, my opinion is that you don't feel the rear axle so close to you and that makes a big difference. You can't play with it in the same way, but it feels more stable on every situation. Anyway, i think it's a valid option. The f54 it's another story. It's feels more like a ...bmw. The steering is way more slow than the f56, the suspension more soft, etc. But it's a great car, nonetheless. I'll take some pictures of mine, soon :)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
For those who have young children, a dog, or both ;-)....I think the F55 is a great choice! You still have the MINI look & handling "and" the price is not horrific! It's a great niche car in my opinion & although I'm not fond of 4 doors it's a very worthy alternative to the more expensive Clubman, Countryman, or especially a Van!

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's a tricky one isn't it.

I always think a Mini is at its best in terms of looks and package as a 3-door hatch, as nature intended. But then again, nature (or Isigonis, really) never intended it to get this bloody big anyway or have a 2-litre 200+ bhp engine in it and be so badly packaged you still can't fit anything in it.

I don't like the look of the F55, but it does drive well. I have a an MCS F56 and have only driven Cooper or Cooper D F55s and they seem to drive as well as 3-dr variants. I initially preferred the look of the Clubman, but the extra width has done nothing for the front view as you can automatically spot it a mile off. From all other angles it looks great. However, the price premium over the F55 is quite severe I believe (not checking my facts, but I seem to remember that being the case) and it also has a severe weight penalty really affecting the 3-pot motors.

I'm also not a big fan of the recessed area of the dash where the ventilation controls are on the F54. But then again, the F56 doesn't look as nice as the R56 which in turn didn't look anything like as nicely proportioned as my old R53.

I saw an Audi S1 Sportback today and thought how nicely that works as a 5-dr and couldn't quite fathom why the F55 doesn't - maybe it's working within the paradigm of the curved silhouette. It always reminds me of an Austin Maxi. I hate the front overhangs on all the F-series Minis though. But then again, I didn't buy it for how it looked.

If you like the way a car looks from the outside, it's great because you can look at everyone else's for free - the only reasons you should be opening your own wallet are to sample the interior and the way it drives on a daily basis.

I always think that each derivative waters down the brand a bit more and devalues the currency, but then again they sell by the bucketload and BMW need to milk the brand dry to produce the product they do. Plus JCW owners probably think Cooper S owners like me dilute the brand. And all original Mini owners hate us anyway, and probably for quite good reason! Horses for courses. I think if I needed a bigger car, I'd just get a Golf personally, as it fits the brief a bit better.

I'm still annoyed at the S Works 210 being launched this week. That is the car I would have bought if it had existed when I got mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think that it is quite obvious sells will drop on the F55, I know Atlanta has a bunch of MINIs and the vast majority don't have owners on this forum or others. Also, people here love to buy the most expensive car they can.

The clubman is new, once it's newness wears off, we need to see how sales do then.

After driving my moms F55, I am honestly not sure why I got an F56 other than I wanted to harken back to the original. I think that jcw F55 would be an awesome vehicle and something that as an enthusiast I would love.

I have to honestly say that it was my understanding that the F55 only exists because of the new rules in the U.K./Europe that only 4 door cars can be company cars. So they made the 4 door to pick up that market. Since it takes so little to sell it to the states, I am glad they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
I must say I think if I was in the market for that size car I would've opted for the Clubman, I think the F55 looks a bit overweight!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I see more F55's than F56's around here, definitely seems more popular. I get them, think the 3dr looks better obviously but if my kids were 3 - 4 years younger, I'd have had one as the 2nd car. The extra bit the 5 doors gives you makes a huge difference.

For us, the question is, we run a 500X as the main family car. When it goes back in just over 2 years, we probably cant afford/justify a Clubby really, and Countryman will probably be similar money. So, can we get 4x flight cases in an F55, couple of surf boards on the roof, plus a 6'3" 15 year old and a 5'0" 13 year old in the back???? For 3/52 weeks of the year? Rest of the time, its my wife on her own or me doing the shopping.

To be fair the 15yo wont be far off Uni / College / not be seen dead with parents on holiday at that point, so actually that may not be an issue for much longer.

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have not driven the F55 yet but I gave it a good tire kicking at the Dealer the last time when my F56 was in for Service.Might have to test drive one since Mini USA got 0% for 72 month and than some more discounts. It,s my brain that is stuck with them old school looks and will not step into the 21st Century.:D:D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts