Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a random question that came to my mind today. I currently have a loaner while my car is in, and they gave me a 2022 2 door hardtop base model. It's the automatic, but I noticed it doesn't have the drive mode switch. Which got me wondering about something:

On my Cooper S with a manual, downshifts are not rev matched by the computer in normal mode; I have to switch to sport mode for that. So for the Coopers with no drive modes and a manual, do they default to Normal drive mode and thus not have rev matching?

· Registered
11 Posts
Here's a random question that came to my mind today. I currently have a loaner while my car is in, and they gave me a 2022 2 door hardtop base model. It's the automatic, but I noticed it doesn't have the drive mode switch. Which got me wondering about something:

On my Cooper S with a manual, downshifts are not rev matched by the computer in normal mode; I have to switch to sport mode for that. So for the Coopers with no drive modes and a manual, do they default to Normal drive mode and thus not have rev matching?
I have a 2017 2 door base with 6 speed and it rev matches. I did use BimmerCode to turn on Sport mode a year ago, but I believe it rev matched before that. There is no other way to activate Sport mode in this model other than via BimmerCode.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 2017 rev matches in every mode...unless you completely disable traction control by holding the switch. The later cars (not sure if it came in with the LCI) only rev match in sport mode.
Appreciate the info. So here’s a question then, if you code Sport Mode on a car that doesn’t have the mode switch, does the car now rev match? Are those sensors still in the car and just not active?

· Super Moderator
1,062 Posts
No problem. :)

My guess is that it will as...AFAIK...it's controlled entirely by the software. All the data it needs to rev match (current speed, selected gear etc.) is already available from the standard sensors. Hopefully someone else can confirm this for you though.

· Registered
11 Posts
Appreciate the info. So here’s a question then, if you code Sport Mode on a car that doesn’t have the mode switch, does the car now rev match? Are those sensors still in the car and just not active?
An interesting note is that when I coded SPORT mode my gas milage actually went up about 2 MPG. Crazy I know. The pep went up along with it. I do wonder if I am wearing out components running it 100% in sport mode though. Anyone know or guess?

· Registered
F55 Mini Cooper S, Manual, w/ mods.
42 Posts

What year is your Cooper S?

This is suggestive that it is on really old engine firmware. Updates all had revmatching in every mode except full DSC off.

· Registered
F55 Mini Cooper S, Manual, w/ mods.
42 Posts
It’s a 2022. The LCI2 models seem to not have rev matching in Normal Mode.
Oh, yea, definitely not old firmware.
It's so odd they didn't include it in that mode.

In the pre 2019 cars, the ECU calibration (the "flash", the "tune") contained the settings when the revmatch would happen. I don't think it was an item that could be simply coded in or out with esys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts