Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has become part of the discussion in another thread but, as someone else suggested, it deserves its own thread. I'll start it off. I've called myself Wheee! on here and that's also what I call my car because it is the happy noise I make every time I drive it. My husband has just pointed out that I've named the car after myself and that's some serious ego. This is why he didn't win the husband of the year award!:)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Our Cooper is a boy.

We think it looks mean, low and purposeful whereas earlier Mini's seemed to be a bit more chic and almost cute in comparison.

She who must be obeyed has christened our car "Quinn", as in "the Mighty Quinn" because she used to be a fan of Manfred Mann, and Quinn the Min sounds OK.

And it is a mighty car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No bloke in his right mind would give his car a girly name or a boys name for that matter. In fact a car is an 'it' and not a flippin' she or her I mean its not exactly an ocean going liner is it? However my wife calls her car cherry as its red, which is fair enough as nearly all girls like to give their cars names, but blokes giving names to their MINIs you cant be serious can ya??!! :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
I can't remember owning a car that didn't have a definite character of its own, good or bad.

Perhaps being a Scottish engineer, we tend to have empathy with machines that others can not understand but I certainly would expect my car to behave badly if I just said I was going out in "the car" or "it", that would be asking for trouble!

My wife has even named our vacuum cleaner but it has never displayed any behaviour traits, good or bad. Just noisy.

·
Registered
216 Posts
No bloke in his right mind would give his car a girly name or a boys name for that matter. In fact a car is an 'it' and not a flippin' she or her I mean its not exactly an ocean going liner is it? However my wife calls her car cherry as its red, which is fair enough as nearly all girls like to give their cars names, but blokes giving names to their MINIs you cant be serious can ya??!! :)
How gay! I'm not so insecure in my masculinity that I can't give my car a name, though admittedly I've never done it before. But then I've never had a Mini before either.

Who says "its" can't have names? Ever talked to Siri? I'm thinking of naming mine "Hal" after the computer in 2001: A Space Odyssey. It seems to have its own artificial intelligence. Now if only it talked like the car in Knight Rider or the robot R2D2 in Star Wars. Would it be male, female or neuter?

When I picked up my car, they said to let them know when I named it so they could put it my Adoption Certificate! BTW, the finance woman at the dealership named her black MINI "Brutus."

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My husband drives a giant, black GMC Sierra that we lovingly call Gertrude. It's all in fun and somehow just fits. Doesn't seem to have affected his self image in any way!

·
Super Moderator
8,012 Posts
Hear hear whee. I never used to name my cars but my wife always does. Now I do and I am not gay! It's fun .

Now she is v novel. First car she had when I met her was pid. Named after the salesman who was called Stuart. Get it stu....... pid! I loved that.

Next was Clarence after the Hyundai i20 salesman who was v cros eyed. Ie the lion.

Then truffle a brown mini Highgate cabrio. We know his new owner and she still calls him truffle or truffs!!!. Minis are generally he's by the way in our house. New roadsters s in black with red stripes is Damon after vampires in twilight and the colour scheme just is! and my last r56 was roxy oh heck a lady!!! due to its number plate. She was a v pretty laser blue!

My new vo f56 is jasper. Nickname we had as kids for wasps and vo and black ! The car sure has a sting in it's tail!

Great fun. What is yours called. I love whee!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I call mine the "Wind up toy"... or "Toy Car"... It's small and cute, my old dodge nitro used to be "Box on wheels". I guess it's more of a descriptor than a "name"... but still thinking of getting a customized license plate that says "Toy Car".

My other ideas for the license palte would be:

- Use my nickname (it's 4 letters)
- Describe my career (Designer, or creative)...
- Use Company name
- Short version of my company name (Starts with "woz").... or I could do "The Woz"... having steve wozniak's last name makes it all the fun.
- WozMobil

Still leaning most to "Toy Car" though... or T0Y CAR if the previous is taken.

·
Registered
441 Posts
F56 number one was called Fevio (There's a guy at one of our clients called Fevio so it is a real name, Spanish I think)

F56 number two is currently affectionately known as Junior but will eventually have a name of his or her own.

PS - I *am* gay so does my vote count twice? ha ;) I think all cars should have names.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi,
I have never ever named a car before but ..............

This is my first MINI and I just could not help myself.
I confess, you got me .........

"Dinky" is my MINI Cooper S in Thunder Grey.

There, Ive said it, enough already!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.