Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So long story short, my next door neighbours dog managed to jump up the rear of the car, causing some horrible, but probably only clear-coat deep scratches. How do I remove these by hand?

Apologies about the pictures, I was actually loading up all my cleaning equipment to give the car it's first clean... Ironically it was the cleaning equipment I paid a lot of money for so that I don't cause a scratch on my car... I don't believe in destiny/fate but... :p

Definite Scratches
Possible Scratches (Will see once cleaned.)

Thanks everyone :)

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
We got some terrible scratches on the black boot top of wife's roadsters s .we reckon someone put their hand bag on it thendragged the buckle over . It all came out with t cut (I use farecla) but it took over an hour and is like playing Russian roulette.go too far and its a respray as you go through the clear coat and it'll look awful. mind you you can't lose I suppose because its a spray job anyway then.

Reactions: radiocaf

·
Registered
93 Posts
As per one of my other posts try some Gtechniq P1 or maybe some G3 from Halfords? If they are in the clear-coat you should be able to improve the appearance if not completely remove them.

Always the way.....! :(

Regards Bob

·
Registered
505 Posts
There are a number of good scratch removing products out there. If it's only a surface scratch, most will take them right out. Be sure to wax afterward. My Simoniz kit even came with a tiny motorized buffer. Just go gently and don't force it, whatever you get.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hopefully it polishes out, just go easy with it.

What is it with Mini's? After 3 weeks I've had a dent removed and bonnet resprayed from a motorway stone chip and today a pheasant decided to run out infront of me, doing 60 with no where to go except pheasant or oncoming car...... The
The pheasant got it...!!!!

Guess it'll be a deer next......

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We got some terrible scratches on the black boot top of wife's roadsters s.
Ouch man, my Mrs got in the car yesterday really deliberate and when she clocked my weird face expression she turned and said "I didn't want to accidentally scratch anything with my bag." So I don't have that worry, from her, at least lol.

As per one of my other posts try some Gtechniq P1 or maybe some G3 from Halfords?
I picked up some AutoGlym Polish, just because it has fillers in it as per Donna's Guide to Detailing.

There are a number of good scratch removing products out there.
That motorised buffer sounds good, but I wouldn't use one of them until I know what I'm doing. Hoping to find a detailing class somewhere.

Hopefully it polishes out, just go easy with it.
There's a lot of pheasants being hit lately, they seem to attack cars during their mating season.

I cleaned it up yesterday and here's the results, they're not as bad as I thought and you probably won't ever see them unless you are face level with the bumper (just look at my reflection.)

Click the pictures for the full size.

·
Registered
505 Posts
By "motorized buffer" I mean a tiny little thing with a little sponge on the end powered by a AA battery. It just runs at a constant speed, eliminates the elbow grease (finger grease?). No classes needed... just follow the directions on the package. Stuff will buff right out. Lotta decent products out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts