Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've noticed from the very beginning this cool feature: when you unlock the car in the night there are some LEDs in the door handle on the outside of the car which are lit and they are not only to seeing where the handle is but it also gives the car a cool look.

However, the other day I noticed they are not coming on anymore. Does it have anything to do with the outside light? I've noticed it around 1AM while going home from a movie and the parking lot was not that brightly lit, it was quite dark.

Is there any setting I can check?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm not sure but there's a setting on the menu called welcome light or something, however that might be the lights at the front. As a side note, I've noticed sometimes the lights at the front don't come on when unlocking too.

This leads me to believe that it is to do with the level of light. Or the length of time between locking and unlocking.

I also noticed that if the car is already locked, if you press lock on the key again, the door handle lights illuminate.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm not sure but there's a setting on the menu called welcome light or something, however that might be the lights at the front. As a side note, I've noticed sometimes the lights at the front don't come on when unlocking too.

This leads me to believe that it is to do with the level of light. Or the length of time between locking and unlocking.

I also noticed that if the car is already locked, if you press lock on the key again, the door handle lights illuminate.
Careful if you press the lock button twice you're disabling the alarm altogether according to the manual.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can't quote it but I believe I remember reading somewhere that the welcome lights only come on if your headlights are set to auto. Or maybe that's just the headlights. Or maybe it's interior lights? Or maybe I had one too many gin and tonics

·
Registered
296 Posts

Careful if you press the lock button twice you're disabling the alarm altogether according to the manual.
Just read the handbook and you are correct. However this only happens and disables the interior and tilt alarm sensors if pressed within 10 seconds of locking the car.
It actually calls the section in the handbook: 'switching on interior lights and courtesy lights' and states that these are switched on if the lock button is pressef after 10 seconds of locking so, is definitely a deliberate feature.

Looking further in the handbook it also says that the interior and courtesy lights are only activated upon pressing unlock (or lock after 10 seconds as mentioned above) if the interior were not switched off manually. So this may be the problem?

However, If the door handle lights fall under the 'welcome lights' rather than courtesy lights, the welcome lights function has to be enabled in the settings.

Actually, quick edit. I just drove the car this morning, and the door handle lights came on as I turned the engine off after parking, before locking. It wasn't dark so couldnt have been just because of that, but also couldn't have been solely based on the locking settings/mechanism.

·
Registered
296 Posts
EDIT again: Continued reading the handbook. I believe they fall under welcome lights, and are therefore only activated if the headlights are in the auto or on position (i.e they don't come on if the lights have been manually turned off) as @Dromedary mentioned. Welcome lights also need to be turned on in the settings

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I remember fiddling with the ambient light switch (the 3rd one above the rear view mirror) and I think I disabled the interior lights ...could it be that the door handle lights are connected to this one?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I remember fiddling with the ambient light switch (the 3rd one above the rear view mirror) and I think I disabled the interior lights ...could it be that the door handle lights are connected to this one?
Yes that will be it. From looking at the handbook it seems that for the welcome lights to come on:

- The settings for welcome light has to have the box ticked.
- The headlight switch needs to be on auto or on.
- The interior lights need to have not been manually turned off.

It does actually say they are based on the ambient light outside too, so I imagine they are activated when it is dark enough for the auto headlights to come on.

Also it stores the welcome light settings in the key profile, so make sure you're using the right key, or turn the setting on in each key.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Considering it was working a couple of weeks back then 1 and 2 are surely on the same setting/position; it seems I will just have to re-set #3 :)
Hopefully as it is a simple fix. It should be the button opposite the LED colour changer button. I think if it's held in for a few seconds it disables the interior light, so can see how it could have been easily done by accident.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure I've disabled the interior light last week but I had no idea it is connected with the door handle light. I will try it out this evening and see the result.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.