Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer bodyshop had my car today to look at the paint rub. They contacted mini uk who have said they are introducing a new door seal within the next two weeks. They have agreed to take my car once this new seal is available and re- spray under warranty. So all of you out there showing signs of this, get onto your dealerships now and get in the queue

·
Registered
844 Posts
I called my dealer today after weeks of waiting. They were meant to call me back - it never happened.

Thanks for the info Hat - appreciate it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
When they eventually become available, it would be useful if the part numbers of the new parts, or service bulletin number could be shared if anyone can find out the information.

I have protected my paintwork in the door B post, so my dealer may not believe there is a problem, but I do want the new seals fitted, so any reference numbers of paperwork relating to the problem will help convince them if needed. Assuming no one else has complained at my dealership of course.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'll will certainly ask johnan. the bodyshop manager immediately admitted however that the courtesey car he was giving me also has the same problem

·
Registered
844 Posts
Well, my dealer has let me down.
Eventually spoke to someone today.
They had no record of the pics taken by them about 2 months ago! So, I had to take pics and email them in.
It also seemed like they had no earthly idea about this fault.
I told them that MINI were well aware and working on a solution.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looks exactly like mine. I've been meaning to contact my dealer but assumed they probably wouldn't want to go to the hassle of respraying. However, if Mini is introducing new seals and admit there is an issue, there may be some hope of getting it fixed.

Hat, do you mind me asking which dealer you're dealing with? Cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
I haven't heard about the new seals being released within 2 weeks. I do know MINI is testing new seals, to see if the damage will return. Don't get your hopes up on getting a new type of seals within this month, I'm betting my money on at least 3 to 4 months from now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't heard about the new seals being released within 2 weeks. I do know MINI is testing new seals, to see if the damage will return. Don't get your hopes up on getting a new type of seals within this month, I'm betting my money on at least 3 to 4 months from now.
Well, I intend to get both pillar areas covered with 3M film when I pick up my MCS later this month, but I wonder if every 2-door MCS has this problem with the seals.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The temporary fix is indeed to put 3M film on the pillars (ask your dealer). Not only the MCS has the problem, but every F56 (One/Cooper/CooperS/JCW) since it is a design problem in the doorseals. This is a common problem in the automotive industry for cars with a window frame. It has to do with the consistency of the rubber in the seals. I've had the same problem on my previous car.

·
Registered
890 Posts
It will be interesting to see how they rectify this for cars already built.

The easiest way is to use the 3M, or clear film, solution which is easily replaced if it becomes worn, which is what many of us, I believe, have been using to protect the paint until a permanent fix is produced. Unacceptable as a long term solution.

The offending item is the coarse finished seal fitted to the door.
I had a look, and that item on my car is in one piece that runs along the length of the door, behind the door card.
To replace it with a redesigned one would mean taking the door card off and that could introduce rattles and leaks that are not there at present, and take a bit of time.

I suppose if rectification paint work is being done too, the time factor is not an issue, but in my case I just wanted a drive-in fix as my paint is OK.

I will be interested to hear how the rectification work goes, as the new seals start getting fitted!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks exactly like mine. I've been meaning to contact my dealer but assumed they probably wouldn't want to go to the hassle of respraying. However, if Mini is introducing new seals and admit there is an issue, there may be some hope of getting it fixed.

Hat, do you mind me asking which dealer you're dealing with? Cheers
Lloyd group at Colne, Lancs. when you look at the seal it looks like the top rough offending part might be a separate component to the main seal which hopefully could mean less stripping down to refit

·
Registered
890 Posts
Mine does seem to be one piece, but I did just have a quick look.

Hope it is easy to remove just the rough bit though, save a lot of work/hassle!

·
Registered
52 Posts
The temporary fix is indeed to put 3M film on the pillars (ask your dealer). Not only the MCS has the problem, but every F56 (One/Cooper/CooperS/JCW) since it is a design problem in the doorseals. This is a common problem in the automotive industry for cars with a window frame. It has to do with the consistency of the rubber in the seals. I've had the same problem on my previous car.
For those who have installed the 3M film. Could you tell me how far down the 3M film should be placed? Is it just the top portion of the pillar, half way, or the entire pillar? Thanks for any suggestions.

Incidentally, I had to have the seal replaced around the driver's door opening (not the door itself) on my 2012 MCS because it had started to flake. It was replaced by Mini when I went in for a oil change, and it looks just like the original, except it doesn't flake off! I was amazed that it didn't take them that long at all.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I put my film from the top of the B post down about 6 inches, which is probably more than needed. As long as it stops the black rubber seal thing on the door itself rubbing against the B post door jamb, then it will be OK.

It is that black seal thing that needs to be replaced, rather than the seal round the door opening, which is quite easy to change.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I put my film from the top of the B post down about 6 inches, which is probably more than needed. As long as it stops the black rubber seal thing on the door itself rubbing against the B post door jamb, then it will be OK.

It is that black seal thing that needs to be replaced, rather than the seal round the door opening, which is quite easy to change.
Thanks! I'll instruct the installer when I have the clear bra installed to also do the door pillars.

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
Initially I did two inches and it wasn't quite enough. Four seems to do it but will check for you.

1 - 20 of 229 Posts