Mini Cooper Forum banner

181 - 200 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
My mother had her F56 door frames repainted and clear vinyl attached under warranty a few weeks ago just before the 3 year warranty expired. Seems crazy that BMW could design a door seal that is so abrasive.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Tim welcome to the forum. This is the worst I have seen so far most of the time it is just the clearcoat that rubs off. By the way it is a known problem check with Mini Dealers. Keep on bugging Mini they repainted mine under warranty and replaced the door seals.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Before I bought my 2015 Mini, I saw on the forum discussions about the paint rub. Someone had posted pictures showing the film necessary to protect the pillars with examples. Below are the pictures. I had the BMW Collision center put the film on my car at the time they installed the clear cover on the front. It's been 2 years, and so far no paint rub. I asked my dealer about getting new seals and I was told that it would be $250 if I couldn't show damage. Then, I read on the forum that the new seals were still causing problems, so I just decided to leave the existing film on and not get any new seals.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tim welcome to the forum. This is the worst I have seen so far most of the time it is just the clearcoat that rubs off. By the way it is a known problem check with Mini Dealers. Keep on bugging Mini they repainted mine under warranty and replaced the door seals.
Trouble is this is used mini (bought april this year through mini) ...and the warranty has run out...bodyshop says paint warranty 3 years... although dealer say 10/12 years...who is correct? have gone back to my dealer who sold now, but I, not knowing this was a fault presumed at first when we bought it was a seatbelt being caught in door...i since had a smart repair which again is rubbing, but now i suspect mini wont touch it as the paintwork was touched by AN other.

·
Registered
200 Posts
After reading this I've looked and mine is doing it both sides you can feel it more than see it at the moment so will call them monday

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
new to forum but wonder if get advice... we bought 2014 mini cooper 6 in april (used) from mini and noticed the wear down to bare metal...assumed it was a seat belt catching until i recently had a smart repairer make good only to tell me it was seals and looks like will happen again ... it is. I took to synter bodyshop who said seen before but its out of paint warranty 3 years so cant put it through...rang mini uk and they claim no knowledge of issue... am i stuffed or do i need to try again? better for me to just repair and get panel wrapped with 3m?
This is a known defect on the car. I would try to get them to pay for the fix, and the application of a protective film on the rubbing area.

2017 JCW-- I have the paint rub issue as well. Forewarned by this awesome forum, I put the 3M tape on and have had no further problem.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Trouble is this is used mini (bought april this year through mini) ...and the warranty has run out...bodyshop says paint warranty 3 years... although dealer say 10/12 years...who is correct? have gone back to my dealer who sold now, but I, not knowing this was a fault presumed at first when we bought it was a seatbelt being caught in door...i since had a smart repair which again is rubbing, but now i suspect mini wont touch it as the paintwork was touched by AN other.
I think that when there is a world wide campaign to fix this issue and BMW/Mini issues a PuMA number for this fix, it will override the expired warranty ?

PuMA: 61343182 (-03)
Doorrubber: Left # 51337458245 / Right # 51337458246

Go and take your car back when it is convenient for you (call first for an appointment) and forward this PuMA fix number so that you can educate the dealer as to what has to be done as per BMW/Mini specs and PuMA number quoted.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Before I bought my 2015 Mini, I saw on the forum discussions about the paint rub. Someone had posted pictures showing the film necessary to protect the pillars with examples. Below are the pictures. I had the BMW Collision center put the film on my car at the time they installed the clear cover on the front. It's been 2 years, and so far no paint rub. I asked my dealer about getting new seals and I was told that it would be $250 if I couldn't show damage. Then, I read on the forum that the new seals were still causing problems, so I just decided to leave the existing film on and not get any new seals.

I did the same thing. I also grease the seals with some Mothers Back to Black. My pillars still look good.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Argh, that is pretty bad!
Is this a UK car or not? I assume not since it tends to be the driver's side that is worst affected.
As for MINI saying they're unaware - that is absolute codswallop! They're at it.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
So is this problem now solved on new vehicles, do you think? We're collecting a new 3 door JCW in 3 weeks and am wondering if I should apply protection to the door shuts.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
So is this problem now solved on new vehicles, do you think? We're collecting a new 3 door JCW in 3 weeks and am wondering if I should apply protection to the door shuts.
I'd do it yes! I did the fix on my 2015 JCW right after buying it and seeing this issue discussed on this forum....my 3M film does the job supremely & I don't even think about it anymore. My car is black so the film isn't even noticeable! My film is probably bigger than necessary but like I said you don't notice it anyway.

Enjoy you new JCW!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I would definitely apply some, whether you can see evidence of rub or not. Better to be safe than sorry......

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've just had my 2014 F56 in for this. They resprayed the door jamb and put the 3M sticker on to protect it, but they don't seem to have replaced the door seal. I queried this and was told that the door seal is no longer replaced as part of this procedure - can anyone verify this?

Strangely enough, I think the seal around the door frame has been replaced. I reported a noise in the car and it says on my invoice that the noise could not be heard and that the seal replacement must have fixed it. The seal around the door also looks different where it meets the rear windows. No idea what's going on but currently waiting on a call from the service manaer

·
Registered
890 Posts
I've just had my 2014 F56 in for this. They resprayed the door jamb and put the 3M sticker on to protect it, but they don't seem to have replaced the door seal. I queried this and was told that the door seal is no longer replaced as part of this procedure - can anyone verify this?

Strangely enough, I think the seal around the door frame has been replaced. I reported a noise in the car and it says on my invoice that the noise could not be heard and that the seal replacement must have fixed it. The seal around the door also looks different where it meets the rear windows. No idea what's going on but currently waiting on a call from the service manaer
The new seals don’t seem to be any less abrasive than the old ones so they must have worked out, as many here already did, that the simplest remedy is protection tape on its own.
It is not aesthetically the ideal solution but it does the job and you soon forget it is there. Even cellotape is better than nothing as a temporary measure!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Just waiting for mine to be done although my dealer said they hadn't ever heard of a problem.

They have rung back to say they will put 3M on the door jam and replace the seal! Just have to wait and see I guess..

The bit I find annoying is the car was launched in 2014 and yet they can't find a fix except sticking a bit of plastic on the area!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Replacing the seal honestly will not fix the problem it is just a quick fix so to speak. On my 2015 Mini they replaced the seals on both doors twice and it kept rubbing. BMW finally approved a respray under warranty. On my 2017 it started rubbing also. I guess Mini really does not have solution for the problem. I thought for the 2019 models Mini would have found a solutions.

·
Registered
86 Posts
F55’s

I have being reading this thread with interest and wondered if there has ever being any issues with F55 seals ? I am shortly about to receive a 68 plate and thinking I need to talk through with the dealer ? Or the F55’s ok ?
Thanks in advance for this

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have being reading this thread with interest and wondered if there has ever being any issues with F55 seals ? I am shortly about to receive a 68 plate and thinking I need to talk through with the dealer ? Or the F55’s ok ?
Thanks in advance for this
I have never seen a report of this with a F55, and my F55 (built 2015) was perfect. The problem occurs because of the seals used for the frame less windows in the F56, the F55 does not have frame less windows.

181 - 200 of 229 Posts